41-50

Chapter 41 Your Highness Wants Something, So Do I

Madam Dowager pressed on her chest, so furious and livid at what Ning Yuling had just said, which almost caused her to have a heart attack. The messages Ning Yuling conveyed was that in the Lord Protector's Manor, Madam Ling prevailed her on power. Though she barely laid her hands on the matters in the Manor, she couldn't bear such a demeaning attitude towards her. "Force her out, force her out, leave her kneeling in her own yard, and without my permission, she shall never get up."

After yelling out, she was all worked up and panting heavily. Sensing the severity of this situation, with no hesitation, maids and older female servants unambiguously dragged Ning Yuling out. After all, Ning Yuling hadn't dared to cross the line so far. As soon as she was outside, she cleared her hair, angrily shoved two older female servants' hands away and strode forward. Two older female servants looked at each other, knowing there was nothing they could do but following behind her, which made the whole thing more like "escorting", rather than "forcing".

Master Mingyue came over and checked on Ning Xueyuan. Aside from prescribing her some medicine for swelling, he asked her to ensure enough rest. As a token of consolation, Madam Dowager sent someone to select and give her some luxuries, and then to escort her back to her own yard.

Coming back to her yard and sitting down, Ning Xueyan leaned on the bed, resting. The medicine prescribed by Master Mingyue was so effective that it took only a short time before her forehead felt much better. Qingyu felt relieved after finding out nothing serious was going on on her forehead.

"Young Lady, how come Madam Dowager gives away such things to you when you are not allowed to wear them currently?!" Lanning frowned and asked, pointing at the exquisite silks, satins, and the jewelry on the table which were identifiable as high quality at first glance. However, since she was in mourning right now, it would be extremely inappropriate to put those on.

"This is a gesture from Madam Dowager to show her kindness to you. It seems like she has truly realized how good you are." Qingyu laughed naively.

"That is because she found out the great benefits of using me and I am such a good asset to her, rather than how good I am." Ning Xueyan tilted her head and sneered. Her long eyelashes teetered a little, leaving the subtle shadow on her pure white face. The thing was that Madam Dowager was absolutely too confident of her plan to realize that Ning Xueyan was no longer the person who knew nothing about how to defend herself.

There was no way that Madam Dowager could genuinely care about her. In front of her granddaughter, she had always adored her most with a full heart, Ning Xueyan was the one that lacked any interaction and attachment to her. On one hand, treating her well was to show the manners and rules in the Lord Protector's Manor to the bystanders, especially after Ning Yuling made such a dramatic scene. On the other hand, she aimed to reestablish and improve Ning Yuling's resilience in this way.

Madam Dowager was encouraging Ning Yuling, by taking advantage of the situation so Ning Yuling could use it as a stepping stone.

Given Ning Yuling's disposition, it would be unwise to become one of the royals. Madam Dowager intended to teach her a lesson by giving Ning Yuling a hard time under her watch. As for whether Ning Yuling would wind up turning against her, or whether she could make it, was all beyond her consideration.

Lanning stayed silent. As someone who had been through hell once, she could think about things ahead of Qingyu. Knowing Ning Xueyan was right about this, she had nothing to say.

Qingyu bit her lips, speechless, and feeling sorry for the Young Lady she served.

The carriage Honored Consort Ya rode in arrived at nightfall, with everyone's expectation and attention. All of a sudden, the madams in the temple all rushed outside to welcome her. In Cold Mountain Temple's gate was such a hustle and bustle, swarmed with young ladies. The madams who brought their eldest daughter, all eagerly wanted to make some impression in front of Honored Consort Ya, with the hope of marriage being possible if they were lucky enough to catch Honored Consort Ya's eye. Even though it was not the emperor's son who was to marry, noble and dignitary princes in the palace of the Prince would also be enough for them.