Alone

Katsuki sneaks around the back of the building, listening for any sound of people before he slips into the studio, easily bypassing the security sensor and picking the lock. You see, dropping out of middle school and living with the world's best hacker for a year does have its advantages, even if the guy is penniless.

He peers through the door, opening it partly to listen for if there are any people he missed. There aren't; there never is. So, he takes out his very old video recorder and presses start, making sure to leave it on the floor and walk farther away from it. He is sure there are no people, so, trembling, he reaches up and lifts the black blindfold from his eyes. He squeezes his eyes shut, the light searing the back of his eyes with a white-hot pain. He blinks a couple times fast, then slows down when he's finally used to the light. He wears a blindfold because his severe anxiety and claustrophobia doesn't allow anyone remotely near him without him suffering through a severe panic attack. He sighs and drops the blindfold in his pocket.

He looks around to examine his surroundings. This one isn't half bad, there are 3 electric guitars, a drum set, a bass, and a keyboard. He ponders which one to try first.

He decides to try the drums first, padding over to them and picking up the long, slender drumsticks. He sighs with relief; he hasn't done this in too long. He taps several of the drums, trying to get a feel for the sound. Once he's figured out a rhythm, he gets lost in the sound, expressing all the anger and pain he's felt in his life. He smiles for the first time in weeks, finally feeling at home, even if they aren't his drums. He tells his story with the music, slamming his anger on the drums, smiling through the tears running down his face.

Sometimes, he wishes he had someone he could talk to, open up to, but he knows that's impossible. Sure, he can sing and play instruments, but his anxiety is such a burden that no one ever tries that hard to befriend him because it's just not worth it. He's used to being alone by now, his only friend is his diary. He writes everything in there, and brings it everywhere, and if someone tells him he can't, well, fuck them he's leaving.

After a 30 minutes or so, he stops playing, knowing his time isn't unlimited.

He listens carefully for people, he doubts anyone would come at midnight, but you never know. He grabs the electric guitar next, strumming a couple chords before deciding on a song to play.

[start the song now]

Eight years old and he's kicking and screaming

"I'll only go to school if you give me a reason"

The kids are really mean and I already know

All the things they're teaching"

Hopped in the car, mama let him play hookey

Missed the first hour just to get a cup of coffee

She's the only one who saw who he was

No one else could read him

Showing up late but he makes it to class

Just to stare out the window and the clock in the back

He daydreamed away to a sky so gray

Everything's simple, it's driving him mental

Wishing everyday that something would change

Instead his dad makes him play ball by the bay

And every time he cries, father rolls his eyes, saying

"Son it's all your fault, how come you never try?"

Katsuki feels tears streaming down his face as he strums passionately at the chords, as hard as he can without breaking them. He sings the first verse of his song, almost breaking down as he remembers what they mean and his broken past. He closes his eyes and sings the chorus, pretending he's back with his father at home, back before everything went wrong.