Chapter 4 - The Forbidden Truth

'What are you doing here? I was looking everywhere for you?' Jeffrey slurred with a bottle of Jack Daniels in his hand.

I put the cutlery down and stood up, 'What are you doing here?'

He stomped towards me and his right hand connected with my cheek, 'How dare you talk back to me?'

I held my cheek and forced the tears back in.

'What the hell?' Allison bellowed and wrapped her arm around my shoulder.

'This is all your fault, you're the town whore and now you're making my daughter one as well. Stay the fuck away from her,' Jeffrey abused whilst pointing a finger towards Allison.

'That's enough,' Hunter banged his fists on the table, visibly shaking from rage.

'You shut the hell up. You think you're a fucking god, but you're just a piece of shit,' Jeffrey gulped down his alcohol.

'Stop, this is too much, just go home,' I whispered trying to avoid the embarrassment.

He looked at me, then grabbed my hand and yanked me out of the restaurant. I could barely walk in the heels and I could barely apologise to Allison. Jeffrey extended his arm and smashed the bottle against the glass door whilst cursing at everyone.

I saw Hunter's eyes fuelled with fury, his jaw ticked and his fists curled, just as he was about to come after me, Tyler stopped him.

Jeffrey dragged me home and pushed me inside and locked the door.

'What the fuck is wrong with you?' I yelled out in frustration. My tolerance was broken.

His face held a shocked expression, 'You fucking bitch, how dare you?' He raised his fist to punch me. I sidestepped and dodged it easily since he was intoxicated.

'I wish you were dead,' his words pierced my heart like a thousand bullets.

'What is your problem? Why do you hate me so much?' I shouted as tears pricked my eyes, this time I let them flow.

'Stop acting like you don't know,' he retorted. I creased my eyebrows in uncertainty. I never understood why he despised me, he never mentioned it. We barely conversed and no matter how much I inquired, he refused to utter a word.

'It's all your fault, it's your fucking fault she left me,' he murmured as tears began streaming down his face.

At this moment, I finally comprehended why he loathed me so much.

'Mum? I took mum away from you?' I whispered in disbelief.

'Don't say my wife's name with your filthy, foul mouth,' he spat out with pure abhorrence.

'You blame me for mum's death?' I murmured again in dubiety as my heart shattered into infinite pieces.

'Yes, it's your fault she is dead. If she didn't stumble upon you at that bench she wouldn't have crossed the road to get to you and she wouldn't have been hit by the truck. This is the truth, you aren't our child, I never even wanted a child but Delia insisted on taking you from the fucking streets. We should've let you bloody die there instead. I hate myself for making Delia come on a walk with me, if we hadn't left the house, we wouldn't have come across you,' he unleashed the truth and slapped himself.

My heart stopped with my mouth agape, I was numb. 

'No, that is not fair, you cannot blame me. It is not my fault, I didn't ask for this, I would do anything to swap places and bring her back. You cannot do this, I never asked you to save me, you should've left me there to die. At least I wouldn't be suffering because of you,' I yelled back at him. What I declared was spiteful, but I couldn't hold back any longer.

'You are a cursed child, you brought this omen above us, No wonder your biological parents dumped you. You're fucking unlucky that's why your name is Mallory. You killed my wife and I hate you for that. You're an ungrateful, useless piece of shit and I wish you died. Heck, I wish I could still kill you,' he whispered and took threatening steps towards me with malicious intentions.

A/N: No endorsement of superstitious beliefs as such, this is pure entertainment.

I stumbled back and scurried towards my room. He followed me with a blink of an eye and barged through before I could lock it. He grabbed a vase and hurled it in my direction, it collided with my hand and lacerated it. I held my hand as blood seeped out and the stinging sensation settled.

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths trying to control my tears and heartache.

'Fuck you, Mallory,' he threw his hands against the desk and shattered it then he punched the mirror and ruptured it.

He came for me and grabbed my wrist tightly.

'Let me go, you're hurting me,' I managed to squeak out as my wrist began to numb.

'I don't care,' he smirked and his left fist connected with my jaw. I groaned in pain as my head swung back. Then he kicked me in my stomach and I crashed to the ground clutching my abdomen. I closed my eyes and tears escaped as the pain enveloped my body.

He took a few steps back then chuckled, 'You're pathetic, you cannot even fight back,' he ridiculed me then punched my face.

My vision began to fade, my eye throbbed in agony and the metallic liquid trickled down my nose. I touched the liquid then roughly wiped it with my arm. He grabbed me by the hair and yanked me to my feet, I began thrashing around.

I waved my hands in all directions and I kicked his leg trying to weaken him. He grabbed my throat and began squeezing. I regained my energy and dug my nails into his hand which drew blood.

He winced and yanked his hand away allowing me to catch my breath. I bent his other arm that was gripping my hair and I bit, I bit hard. He groaned and released his grip to ease his ache.

He backed away and backhand slapped me, unexpectedly, I fell on the ground from the impact. I groaned and my vision faded, I saw him massaging his hand. He grabbed a knife from his pocket, flipped it open, and walked towards me.

I closed my eyes waiting for death to embrace me.