PROLOUGE: COLD

Cold /kōld/

adjective

1.
of or at a low or relatively low temperature, especially when compared with the human body.
"a freezing cold day"

2.
lacking affection or warmth of feeling; unemotional.
"how cold and calculating he was"

Y/N felt so cold. The human shivered, holding themself close. Goosebumps prickled the surface of their skin. Their closed eyes fluttered open, and they were greeted with the sight of... nothing.

An empty world. Devoid of color, devoid of life, devoid of anything. There was nothing there. Just... pure black. Emptiness. It was lonely.

They stood up, arms still hugging each other for warmth. Turning their head to look around the area, they began to mindlessly wander the void they'd been placed in. The 'floor' felt as if they walked in puddles, and every step of the human's bare foot made a quiet splash sound. It was so faint, you'd have to strain to hear it. Due to the silence of the area, however, the only audible noises Y/N could distinguish were their breathing and light footsteps.

Y/N walked and walked for what seemed like hours. Nothing had changed as they trekked on. It felt like they were going in circles, despite never changing directions. Nevertheless, their energy had not grown short. They kept walking forward, but quickly stopped when they heard a faint, unfamiliar sound.

Thump

It made them jump, and they grew uncomfortable with the silence. The lack of answers, the strangeness of it all.

'What's going on?' They thought. 'I want to go home. Where am I?'

...

"D...OU...DREAM?" A deep, masculine- sounding voice called from above. Or it felt like it; it seemed to have no obvious location. Everywhere, the voice could be found.

It glitched, almost like stuttering, as to where the only real word Y/N could make out was 'dream'.

"Dream?" They asked the air, unsure. Their voice quivered as they stepped back.

"Y...FIND...A...SE"

...

"!"

Y/N jolted awake, sitting up from their bed. They held their chest as they attempted to calm their panicked, heavy breathing. What the hell was that?

A dream; of course it was. Y/N wasn't good at identifying dreams while they were in them, but at the moment it felt so real...

Too real.

This dream was abnormally detailed and immersive compared to their other previous. They didn't think they had any dream like that before. It felt like it had an alter motive, like it was trying to communicate something to them. Despite how simple it was, it left Y/N with a million unanswered and growing questions.

A sigh left Y/N's parted lips as their breathing returned to normal. They brushed a shaky hand through their H/C hair, untangling the knots with their fingers.

"Ugh..." They grumbled. Looking over to their nightstand, they picked up their charging phone.

'4:01 a.m.' It read.

Y/N huffed, pulling the cable out of the phone's port and unlocking it. They scrolled through social media for a while, simply to distract themselves from thinking any more about that bizarre dream.

It didn't work, of course. The thought of that scene wouldn't leave their head. It felt like... well, Y/N couldn't describe it. The whole thing just left a sour taste in their mouth, and the only way to get rid of it would be to take action.

But what were they to do? They were only 19, and moved to their new house a few weeks ago. Their only income was from their parents, who were pushing them to get an job.

Life had been boring up until now. There was something Y/N had to do... and they were gonna do it.

There was someone they had to meet. Some ...item they had to find. Anything at all. They would do it.

Or it would come to them.