A Sweet and Sour Valentines Day

It was another bright, sunny day as me and my best friend Jackson, our neighbors son, ran around my back yard. We had been playing tag and hide and go seek for hours.

"You're it!" I squealed and tapped him on the arm, then turned to run in the opposite direction.

"No, YOU'RE it!" he huffed, poking me back.

"Nuh Uuuh. I'm on base now," I said, sticking my tongue out at him and patting the giant oak tree that strattled the fence between our properties. "So you can't get me."

"Oh I can't get you huh?" He grinned and rubbed his hands together giving off an impressively sinister vibe for a first grader. Then he started tickeling me.

I couldn't help myself. I began laughing uncontrollably and sank to my knees against the warm green grass, trying to roll away from him and failing. "Stop, Jaaaack stop!" I screamed between giggles.

Eventually he stopped and smiled down at me, clear blue eyes watching me closely.

"Why are you looking at me all funny?" I asked, propping myself up on my elbows.

His smile slowly faded and he avoided my gaze. "Jamie...there's something I have to tell you."

"What is it Jackie?"

"I...I'm," His face contorted in frustation as if he didn't know how to explain. "My mom and dad said I have to go away..." he broke off.

"Well of course you have to go away silly head! You can't stay over here all night!" I laughed, my six year old self not catching his meaning.

He grabbed a nearby stick and began digging a hole in the ground beside the tree. "No, I mean they said I have to go someplace far away."

"But...Why Jack, why do you have to go?"

"I don't know..." he trailed off. "mom and dad won't tell me."

"Oh," I said, feeling a wave of sadness wash over me. "When are you leaving?"

Jackson finally stopped digging and looked up at me. "Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow!" I screatched, "Why tomorrow?"

"I don't know Jamie." He looked so sad that It broke my heart. We sat there in silence for awhile. He continued to draw in the dirt until I finally broke the silence.

"But Jack I don't want you to leave!" I started to sob.

"Hey it's ok, don't cry. I'm not gone yet!"

"B'Buut yoooou're m'm'my b'bestest friend!" I wailed, throwing my arms around him in a desperate hug. I could tell I cought him by suprise because it wasn't until a few seconds later that I felt his seemingly big arms wrap around me in return. He hugged me for a long time, until I had almost stopped crying.

"I have something to give you" he said when I finally let go of him. He looked a bit sheepish as he leaned back and started to reach into his pocket.

I wiped the remaining tears from my puffy eyes, and sniffed. "What is it?"

Out of his pocket he produced a golden, heart shaped locket. I gasped as he held it out to me.

"I...got it for you to remember me by..." Jackson added, smiling hesitantly.

"It's so beu-de-ful!" I stammered, lifting it out of his hand. I could feel my eyes light up as I stared at it. "Thank you Jackie!" I squeezed him again in thanks.

Just then Jackson's mother's piercing voice sounded from the other side of the fence. "Jackson...Jack honey it's time to come in for the night."

I hadn't even realized how much time had passed, it was no longer late afternoon but getting close to early evening. It would be getting dark soon. I realized this could be the last time I ever saw Jackson.