Chapter One

Third Person
[for a better experience]

"Up for a game of I-Spy?" The ginger quipped.

He got up to throw away the tissue that he used to wipe the crumbs of his seventh donut off of his police uniform.

The man had just scarfed down the last donut within ten seconds — no, it was probably way less than that is what Lev was thinking as the big man released a hearty burp and walked back over to his seat.

He looked at Lev expectantly.

Lev shrugged, looking away from the 5'11 man to glance at his clear desk filled with absolutely nothing but a black landline to answer emergency phone calls that hardly ever occurred.

"What else is there to do?" Lev replied.

Coming from a large city with a population of 2.9 million and counting, life was always abuzz with things happening, things to do, and things to discover. Moving to such a quiet town with less than 5,000 people residing in the underwhelming humble abode was something new to Lev.

Growing up in the city of Port Colborne and eventually becoming police captain of the rambunctious and dysfunctional city with constant strange happenings, crime 24/7, and its bustling nature was Lev's 'normal.'

It was normal for the police station to be crowed with officers and criminals or crime suspects flooding the large space. It was normal for calls to come in at every second because something was going on whether it be a woman who was getting robbed by a bandit who was foolish enough to not bring a weapon and wear a mask to disguise his appearance or a dead body being discovered deep in the large city park with multiple stab wounds and no trace of a suspect.

Lev was used to withstanding things like that.

This little quiet town, however, was not Lev's speed.

He was here for two weeks now and not a thing has happened. No potential crime suspect or victim of any crime. No peep from anyone other than the ginger who Lev was sure had a donut addiction, living up to the name that police men held for being obsessed with donuts. But most certainly, no phone calls.

Well, to be fair, there was that one phone call last Thursday but it was an accidental call. Somehow someone managed to butt dial the station. Lev didn't know it was possible but that was his excitement of last week so he held onto that incident dearly. Truth be told, Lev didn't exactly hate that it was so quiet, in actuality it was the change of pace he needed.

Being police captain came with responsibilities that Lev got accustomed to, but it also brought along stress that his mother swore her 'poor baby' didn't need. His mother, oddly enough, thought that her six foot five inch son with the muscle to move a car with his bare hands, and probably break a finger or hand in two was still her baby boy. Lev didn't have it in him to correct the 40 year old woman who was still very much in love with enjoying happy hour with her girls friends Jessica Anne and Tasha Marie. Not to mention her crush on the bartender who is definitely half her age.

Though the circumstances surrounding his departure from the big name station to the one he currently resides in now is not the best, Lev decided to take the demotion in stride. It wasn't like him to dwell on the negatives or the bad for long. It was like him to be optimistic and positive despite him being an officer who has both seen and experienced the worst of the worst. As his younger sister would like to say, Lev Sanders is a different 'breed.'