Chapter Twelve

"I know," I said in reply to Liliana's dropped jaw. "It's horrible."

"It's not horrible," she said. "It's juicy."

"It is definitely horrible," I protested. "I'm in a relationship."

"And look how well that's going for you, Brooke."

I shut up then. She was right, but she had a mean way of saying it. I sighed, changing my argument "She's seventeen."

"That's almost eighteen," she rationalized.

"Are you actually supporting this?" I asked incredulously.

"I support any non-Kate relationship of yours, Brooke."

"It's not a relationship! It's just a stupid crush."

"Whatever it is," she said, waving her hand dismissively. "I say go for it."

"You mean cheat on my girlfriend with one of my students? Lil, forget about it."

"Well you're putting it so negatively. I mean, why not?"

"Because I know what it feels like to get cheated on," I said, quietly but firmly. "And it's not something I'd wish on anyone else."

She frowned, sheepishly. "Not even Kate?"

I rolled my eyes. "Not even Kate."

________

That night, Liliana and I went out, to a bar we went to often enough. I sometimes went with Lil, sometimes with Kate, sometimes with other friends. It wasn't the most exciting night life, but it was definitely the most local and the most affordable.

Additionally, I found that being out without Kate was a liberating experience. Without her nagging me, I could leave when I wanted. And more importantly, I could wear whatever I wanted. And I took the opportunity to make sure I looked as hot as possible, just because I could.

At the bar, I received a lot of male attention, which I didn't want to receive, and a substantially lesser amount of female attention, which I didn't feel right receiving. Even if I hadn't still officially been with Kate that night, I knew that one-night stands had never been my thing. And even if they were, somewhere inside I secretly knew that I would only be able to see Chelsea's face on any one of them.

"Doesn't it feel nice to be out without her?" Liliana asked later, speaking exactly the sentiment that had been on my mind.

I nodded my agreement. "It actually does."

That's when I turned around and saw her. Sitting at the bar with another woman our age, laughing. She put her hand on her shoulder. It was only from behind, but I could tell. The hair, the frame, even the body language that I knew so well. It was Kate. With someone else. When she was supposed to be with me.

"Oh my God," I said, covering my face for some reason as if I were the one here touching some other girl. 

"What?" Liliana asked, obviously not seeing what I'd seen.

"It's her," I spit, close to full cardiac arrest. "Kate. She's here. With someone else."

"What?!" she repeated, but this time, standing up and slamming her hands on the table.

"Liliana, don't," I urged. "No, please don't. I don't want you to --"

"Brooke!" she shouted at me, trying to make me snap out of it. "Do you realize what this bitch did?"

"Yes," I said. "I do. And I'll figure it out in a more quiet setting, but I'm not going to go cause a scene when--"

"Well, I will," she said, storming off from the table.