CHAPTER 4 | NOTHING ALIKE

Ian  flopped down on the couch and let out a sigh.

Suddenly, the tapping on the laptop stopped.

"Hey, Ian?" He heard his sister's disembodied voice called.

"What?" He muttered, without looking at her.

"Is something bothering you?"Euphel asked, "I have never heard you sigh."

"Just a long day," he muttered, and slowly got up from the couch wanting to get fresh and eat something.

"Well, okay but are you sure there is nothing wrong?" Euphel pressed again.

Ian  paused and looked back at her. Euphel was sitting on a armchair in her most ratty pj's with her laptop. His sister is a senior in college but she was on a gap year right now, so she is back home. He scowled at the empty chips wrappers surrounding her and looked at her.

Ian was the closest to Euphel and his mother only but he never really talked about anything personal with them. Well, there was never really anything to talk about but he have no idea how to deal with his overbearing seat partner. A little advice wouldn't be harmful, he figured.

"Well," he uncertainly began, "There is this boy."

The eyes behind Euphel’s round reading glass immediately sparkled, "You have a crush?" she squealed.

Ian scrunched his nose and gave her a nasty look, "Ew, no." He was centuries away from liking his seat partner.

Euphel's shoulder dropped and she let out a disappointed, "oh". Ian shrugged and was about to walk away when she called him again.

"Wait wait wait!" Euphel called hurriedly and he heard her placing her laptop on the coffee table and dash towards him.

Ian  looked at her with raised eyebrow, "Are you taking a gap year because your boyfriend dumped you? Because you like those girls right now," he paused, "Did you took a shower?"

"Oh you are such a clean freak!" Euphel said, she grabbed both of his shoulders and gave him a wide smile, "So tell me what happened between the boy and you."

Ian  freed himself from her grasp and glare at her, "Nothing happened," he said.

"You never share anything with me even though I am your only sister, “she pouted, "even though you were about to share, you changed your mind, don’t you trust me? Ah! I am so hurt!" she bought her hand and clutched her chest in mocked pain.

Ian rolled his eyes at her dramatic behavior, "Fine, just stop your horrible acting."

Euphel beamed at him, "This is really new to me though," she said, "you are finally opening up to me, come let's sit on the couch first."

"You are such a dork," he said, and followed her.

By the time Ian finished telling her the events that happened, the last time. Euphel burst out laughing.

"He poked you in the eye?" she laughed, and somewhere between her laugh, Ian swore, her laugh sounded like a pig's snort.

He looked her, unamused.