Chapter Three ~ Bittersweet Reunion

where's my love ~ SYML

The blaring red car sped threw the hills catching the attention of the driver's group, but he couldn't care less

The blaring red car sped threw the hills catching the attention of the driver's group, but he couldn't care less. He felt free, free for the first time in a long time. He hadn't realised how much he missed just the experience of driving, let alone this reckless until now.

The Korean smiled to himself as he pulled up to the small camp he had. Dale ran up to the boy frantically, "Holy crap. Turn that thing off!"
Glenn looked cluelessly at the group in front of him, "I don't know how." He could almost laugh at the face they gave him but shook it off as he faced the blonde next to him.

"My sister Andrea..." She trailed off being interrupted by Shane shouting to 'pop the hood'.
"What? Yeah right okay. I will." Glenn ran back into the car pressing the button to pop the hood, "sorry."
"Is she okay? Is she alright?" He was brought back quickly to the frantic behaviour of Andrea's sister, Amy.
"She's okay! She's okay!" Glenn replies frustrated as he sees Jim begin to turn off the car alarm.
"Is she coming back?" Amy asked again, really getting on his nerves. "Yes!"
"Why isn't she with you? Where is she? Are you sure she's okay?" The worried blonde asked him, causing him to sigh.
"Yes! Yeah, fine. Everyones fine. Well, Merle not so much." He sort of shouted over Amy's ramblings about her sister's whereabouts.
"Are you crazy, driving this wailing bastard up here? Are you trying to draw every Walker for miles?" Shane screamed, bringing Glenns attention back over to the former police officer.
"I think we're okay," Dale calmly put attempting to calm Shane down.
"You call being stupid okay?" Shane snapped at the older man.
"Well, the alarm was echoing all over these hills. Hard to pinpoint the source. I'm not arguing. I'm just saying. It wouldn't hurt you to think things through a little more carefully next time, would it?" Dale spoke to the two men.
"Sorry. Got a cool car," Glenn smiled at them childishly while everyone's attention was diverted to the truck pulling in behind him.

Andrea gets out first alarming her sister and causing her to speed over to her. Morales was next earning a shout from his son, "Papi! Daddy!"
The man ran over to his children and wife engulfing them both in a hug, "Hey. Come here, sweetie. Hey. I told you I'd be back, didn't I?"

Carl watched from a distance wanting to be happy for the family, but the plague of the loss of his sister and father remained clouded in his mind. Lori noticed her son's sudden change in behaviour and brought him away from the group. Shane watched over them closely, feeling the guilt for being the reason they, not only, lost their dad that night but their sister too.

Dale looks to Morales with a friendly smile. "You're a welcome sight," He says while going to hug the younger gentlemen. "I thought we had lost you, folks, for sure," He stated looking over to Andrea and then back to Morales.
"How'd y'all get out of there anyway?" Shane butted in.
"New guy. He got us out," Glenn told him.
"New guy?"
"Yeah, crazy Vato just got into town," Morales told him before shouting back towards the truck, "Hey, helicopter boy! Come say hello!"
The group hears the car door shut but Shane still pays attention to Morales, "He's a cop like you." Shane nodded before turning his vision towards the man. It was Rick. He turns back to see Carl and Lori noticing him as well.
"Oh my God," Rick says under his breath as he sees his wife and son. Carl runs from his mother and into his father's arms crying softly.
"Carl, oh!" Rick cried, squeezing him tightly. Lori approaches next unsure if this was real or another one of her cruel dreams, but her uncertainty was interrupted as he welcomed her with a kiss. Rick looks around for a second his gaze meeting Shanes, which holds only sadness.
"W-where's Jacey?" Rick interrupted the hug looking his wife in the eye. He expected her to be there with him once he found them, but he was only met with Lori's sad expression.
"W-what... n-no..." Rick says hugging Carl tightly again his eyes closing only seeing memories of his angel.

~

"I found you didn't I?" Rick asked his son as he was putting him to sleep. Carl looked up to his father still amazed that he was, in fact, alive and not dead as he thought he was this whole time. This moment would've been perfect if his sister was there to share his joy.
Carl smiled up to him, "I love you, Dad."
"I love you, Carl," he returned before kissing his head and moving back over to Lori.

"I found you both," Rick said relieved yet still sad due to the loss of his daughter. Lori said a small 'yeah' as Rick lay next to her looking off at Carl. "I knew I would," He smiled at her as Lori tilted her head.
"You're getting cocky now, a little bit," She laughed.
Rick laughed as well before saying, "No, no, I knew. Walking into our home, finding it empty yours, Carl's and Jacey's stuff all gone."
"I'm so sorry," The woman said sympathetically.
"I knew you were alive."
"How?" She inquired leaning up a little to see him better.
"The photos were gone, all our family albums," He smiled at his wife and watched as she turned around and grabbed one, "I told you so."
"Now you're getting cocky, huh? A lot."
Rick looked down at the book instantaneously noticing the missing space. He reached into his pant pocket and took out a slightly torn image of the whole family - Carl only a toddler being held in Lori's arms and Jacey around 6 at the time sat in Rick's lap. He felt himself start to cry just at the sight of his little girl, his angel, and now she was gone.
"It belongs here," He said sadly sliding the image in the correct place. Lori sensed his sadness immediately and grabbed his hand kissing it softly.
"Baby, I really thought I would never see you again. I'm so sorry... For everything. I feel like... When you were in the hospital, I just... I wanted to take it all back... The anger and the bad times. But the mistakes..." The brunette said to her husband fighting off tears.
Rick pecks her lips in response and states, "Maybe we got a second chance. Not many people get that." They kiss again before Rick pulls away and notices his wedding ring around her neck.
"I wondered where that went," he touched it slightly while Lori frowned.
"Jacey had it. Guess she took it from you when you got in the hospital, refused to go anywhere without it..." She trailed off, "Found it in one of the jackets I packed for her when we got here." Lori took it off after she finished and slid it on his finger. He looked down at his now ringed finger, and it already felt wrong. Especially knowing that his daughter wore this before she died. It almost felt like a curse.
"What happened to her?" Rick said, not taking his eye off the ring.
Lori looked up to him grief painted her vision, "One of those things got her."
"H-how? How could that happened?" He cried, causing his wife to wrap her arms around him, "I should've been there. I-I should've protected my angel." The tent filled with Ricks sobs. As Lori tried to console him, she felt herself begin to cry, the image of the walker on top of her baby cemented in her mind.
"I'm so sorry," She wept still holding him.
"I-its all my fault. I-if I hadn't..."
"No, baby, don't say, that it wasn't your fault. It was no one's fault. No one saw it coming and when we did see she was already gone," she paused letting out a small cry, "I tried, baby, I tried so hard, but she was already dead... we had to go, we had to leave her there."
Rick looked into the love of his life's eyes, his vision blurred slightly, "D-did Carl see?" He could've broken down again then and there as she nodded. Not only has he lost his angel, but his son had to watch it happen.
"O-oh God, baby, She's gone, she's really gone."