Fate's Melody

My name is Wyrd. Perhaps you know me as Urd, Clotho, as one of the Muses, one of the many Goddesses, or simply Fate. I am all of these.

The mortals are only partly right; I not only keep the Well, I also keep the Harp. Now, my harp is similar to the ones that the mortals play, but this one has many more strings. In every melody, I twist souls together to form their paths. This is what I spend most of my time doing.

But sometimes my sisters drag me away, and force me to "observe the mortals" with them. I hate these times, not only because I love my music, but because I feel the pain of every mortal, and know that it is my fault.

For surely the only true pain is inflicted by those one interacts with? So it seems.

My sisters tell me that I am too cold, that I must feel. To me that only means becoming like mortals, with their emotions that run both as shallow as a teardrop and as deep as the ocean. They change like the wind at the top of a mountain. Not the way I want to exist. And perhaps what drives me from my sisters in the first place. 

But enough of that. 

I don't believe I've described my sisters adequately. The eldest is Verdani. She is the mortal's favorite, and the first to use the phrase, 'live life in the now'. Of course, because she is this moment in time, the present. Perhaps I can excuse her for being every bit as fickle as the mortals, because she has no past to look back on or a future to anticipate.

The other is Skuld. She most certainly does not have an excuse. Skuld is what may be, and she should be able to pull away from Verdani's grasp. The present determines all things, does it not? Except, of course, for the past.

Me.

I am all that has ever been, between the start of time and a fragment of a second ago. Verdani  does not see even that split-second behind her, which makes her dangerous. Skuld cannot see the past or present, which means that she couldn't even know that history does, in fact, repeat itself.

It almost makes me sad, though... None of them remember that we did have a mother, and a father. They are long gone, to who knows where. Once they were Omne and Vita, Universe and Life. Now, I do not know.

I have one thing that truly sets me apart from my sisters. The past is wise, and the past determines both present and future. So doesn't it make sense that I would have some glimpse of both? I am not blind to the other sections of time, unlike my sisters.

Sometimes I am not sure I got the best lot, but I do know that I am the best to have gotten it. Everything happens for a reason, meaning that whoever is guiding me knew what they were doing when they set me in this role. So I am content.

Only Skulde could have known that everything would soon change.