Chapter Three

Melody was an uncomplicated girl. She did not know much of her parents, whom Jason spoke of as being wonderful people, but she did know how to survive. Quite a simple task, for a simple girl. Jason had taken her to school here when she had been younger, as the first five grades were free, and then she had learned medical knowledge from self-taught doctor in the area. Jason trusted that man, if only a little. Not like she was worried all that much. Her brother did his best to protect her, and she respected him for that. Sometimes she wanted to be free, to go outside the house they lived in, but then when she did, she remembered what outside was like.  

Dusty, filthy land. She was on the street currently, as a matter of fact. But this time, she had an agenda. Jason asked for some more ammunition for his gun, which he seemed to go through so fast that there never seemed to be any in the house. He may be an expert marksman with the handgun, but he still ran out, all too quickly. So much money wasted on a tool of carnage. 

Melody made her way across the street to the empty side. There were a few houses in between her place and Mr. Dragger. The old merchant\/arms dealer was an even closer friend to Jason than anyone she had ever known. And even though they were good friends, Mr. Dragger knew how to sell. Jason often came home from the man's place of business having spent everything he had on something or other, and she was determined not to do the same.  

She now stood in front of the door to the merchant's store. The steel door had been designed to repel attacks from heavy small arms fire, grenades and gas attacks. Or at least that's what Jason had told her. She decided to knock on the door. There was a bar near the top that slid open. A pair of eyes glared out of the view hole, looked down, and stared her down, as if the eyes were looking into her being. 

"I am not a charity! Now go, before I open this door and come after you." Melody jumped backwards. 

This outburst struck something inside of her, and she was motivated to speak, the words coming out in one breath, as if saying them fast enough would guarantee salvation. "Death sends his regards."  

The eyes above her grew wide, like she had actually had an impact on him. "I hope you know what you're doing. Come inside, before someone catches you." The eyes disappeared from their spot at the slit, and the door opened.  

Melody found herself staring down a much older man, one who looked to be in his forties or early fifties, with a medium length, scraggly beard, and a somewhat wrinkled face. The older merchant carried a cane, which she assumed was for much more than support of a medical nature. The man had a small amount of hair upon his head, mostly gray hair by now. He stepped aside, and waved the young girl in. Once inside, she turned to him as he closed the door. 

"Mr. Dragger, sir?" 

"What? I have important business to attend to; I have no time for inquiries. So hurry it up!" He sounded quite grumpy.  

Melody decided upon a much more solemn tone. "I require some..." She fumbled for the word Jason had told her, "... Nine millimeter ammunition?" 

"Do you need it or not?" He demanded, still standing near the doorway.  

"I do. My brother runs out of it too quickly to replenish--" 

"Melody, I presume?" The tone of his voice changed from annoyed to serious. 

"Y-yes, Mr. Dragger." He had surprised her with his godlike voice. 

"Well, come sit down then! I have some in the back here!" Mr. Dragger showed her to a pair of dilapidated looking chairs that were to her right. Once seated, Dragger spoke. 

"So? How much do you want? I've heard a lot about you." 

Melody was not interested in being around this peddler of death any longer than needed. "Just a couple cases, that should fulfill my needs."