Chapter 8

(A/N: The image is Katie's sister, Patrick.)

No-one else was here. I carefully started toward the carriage, "careful," Elmer whispered, following me. I waved him off, slowly opening the door of the dark colored carriage. Something was off, though, I didn't know what. The vehicle creaked, evidently tipping over. Nobody was inside, so I backed up, unsure of what the person on the phone was talking about.

"Katie!" Elmer yelled for me. As I turned around, someone grabbed the back of my dress, spinning me around  and hanging me over the edge. I shrieked, toes barely on the edge.

"You gullible little girl," the voice said.

"Hey! Let her go!" Elmer hissed.

"One more step and she goes!" The voice hissed, oddly familiar.

"Drop her and we'll never let you see the light of day!" Another voice hissed. I assumed reinforcements had arrived.

"Let's test this theory," the person holding me said, releasing his grip. Either everyone screamed or just me, I wasn't sure.

Elmer's POV:

Katie was being held over the edge of the Brooklyn Bridge by some dude claiming to know her parents. "Let's test this theory," he growled, electric blue eyes as crazy as his white hair. He released his grip on Katie, sending her plummeting to the partially frozen bay below. Everyone screamed, and I dove toward the edge, barely stopping on the slippery sidewalk as I grabbed her wrist.

I shakily pulled her up and close to me, both of us trembling. The blonde buried her face in my shirt, breathing shaky. "It's okay, you're safe now," I sighed, reassuring both of us.

"Elmer, the guy managed to escape," Albert said, holding his hat to his chest. "You okay, Katie?"

"Yeah," the girl sighed, standing up while leaning on me for support.

The ginger Newsie cleared his throat, "um, okay. Well, ya already know Racer. This is Mush, Kid Blink, Finch, and JoJo."

"Nice to meet all of you," Katie smiled, glancing over the edge of the bridge. I squeezed her shoulders in reassurance.

"So, is yer parents here?" Race asked, looking around.

"Not that I know of, the carriage was the only thing here," Katie answered. "And the guy."

"Yeah. Who was he?" Mush asked.

"I dunno, I couldn't see his face," Katie replied.

"He had white hair and electric blue eyes," Finch stated.

"I only know one person that matches that description, but why would he wanna hurt me? Unless.." Katie cut herself off and started toward the bakery.

"What're we doing?" I asked, pulling the door open and following her upstairs.

"I need my mom's yearbook from high school," she answered, pulling a book off a bookshelf and flipping through it. "There. James P. Callaway."

"What's so great about him?" I inquired.

"He and my mom were high school sweethearts before she ran off with my dad. He also happens to be my doctor for my cancer," she explained.

"But why would he want to hurt you?"

"Maybe he wanted to get back at my mom after she broke his heart?"

"Makes sense."

"I's gonna wait with ya until yer parents come back," I decided.

"No, you don't ha-" Katie was cut off when the phone rang in the kitchen. "Hello?" She asked, holding up the phone to her ear.

Katie's POV:

"Hello?" I asked, holding the phone up to my ear.

"Katie, honey?" The woman on the other end asked.

"Momma?" I questioned.

"Yes, baby. Listen, your father and I are snowed in and won't make it back today," Momma explained.

"Oh. When will you be back?" I asked, looking at Elmer.

"Not sure, we're hoping tomorrow," she answered.

"Okay."

"Is there anywhere besides the bakery you can stay with someone?" She asked.

"I'm not sure," I replied, covering the mouth piece with my hand. "I need somewhere to stay and my cousin is too far away."

"You can stay with us," Elmer offered.

I nodded, uncovering the mouth piece, "I can stay with the Newsies."

"Okay, good. How's your brother?" Momma asked.

"He's um...taking a nap," I lied, toying with the cord connecting the phone stand and phone.

"Okay, honey. Be safe and we'll be back as soon as possible," she said, making a kissing noise into the phone before hanging up.

"I gotta grab some stuff for Pat and I, I'll be right back," I explained, running, well, walking briskly up the stairs. I grabbed two bags, one for me and one for Patrick. I quickly stuff some dresses and a pair of shoes into my bag along with my songbook and a few pencils. I then went into Pat's room, placing some clothes and toys into his bag.

Elmer and I made our way to the Newsie Lodging House, finding Patrick asleep on the couch. "Hey, Jack," Elmer grinned.

"Hi. Who's this?" The boy asked.

"Katie," I smiled, placing the bags on the floor and extending my hand to him. Jack promptly spit in his own and shook mine. I fought back a gag and refused to wipe my hand on my dress.

"Can she stay with us for a while until her parents get back?" Elmer pleaded, making his best baby face. I chuckled, leaning against the wall.

"Sure," Jack answered. "The girls are coming later today."

"Girls?" I asked, confused.

"Courtney, Katherine, and Luna," Jack explained.

"I met Courtney the other day," I smiled.

"She's Race's girl. Katherine is mine and Luna is Mush's," Jack explained. "And you's Elmer's."

I blushed, "n-no."

Jack laughed, "whatever you say. Anyway, you's staying in Elmer's room with your brother." I shrugged, taking the bags up the stairs before realizing I didn't know where Elmer stayed.

"C'mon," Elmer chuckled, showing me up. I set the bags down when we got in the room. "Which one do ya want?"

"Which one's yours?" I asked.

"Bottom," he answered.

"Then I'll have the top," I grinned. He nodded and I threw the bags onto the top bunk.

"Hey, Elmer, Katie, the girls are here. Come down here!" Jack called from what I assumed was the common room. We both headed down, Patrick coming out of a room down the hall and meeting us at the stairs.

Elmer stopped in his tracks, me running into his back. I peered around him, blinking wildly. "What's up?" I asked, looking around.

"There's two Katherine's," he responded.