06: don't do it

disclaimer: mentions of mental illness, self-harm and suicide

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

Wednesday, August 12 1998

Juna felt sad. She had been watching her best friend Saem for the past month. When summer break started, she decided that she had to see what Saem was up to. And what she found out scared the shit out of her.

Juna had noticed that Saem had become quiter in class. She wasn't hanging out with Yudam and Boseon as much as before and always walked home alone. Her long black hair wasn't styled any special anymore and Saem didn't even used her thin coat of mascara anymore.

Yoon Saem wasn't the same girl anymore. And Juna felt it.

"Saem...", she whispered, while floating next to the girl. Saem's eyes were empty, while she walked into the elevator of her apartment complex. Juna couldn't understand how the usually bubbly Saem was a quiet mess. 

Juna followed Saem into the elevator and looked at Saem. The girl with the ponytail looked like she was about to cry. Saem frantically rubbed her wrists, pulling the bracelets she wore up and down. Juna watched her and saw faint scars on her wrists.

Fear flashed over Juna's body and she felt herself glitching. She carefully grabbed Saem's hands and pushed the bracelets away. Perfect lines were covering her skin and Juna let go. She saw confusion in Saem's face, while she pulled the bracelets back down.

She could feel a cold breeze hitting her arm, while Juna had touched her. But she couldn't feel her best friend. The elevator doors opened and Saem quickly left the elevator. The ghost right behind her. 

Once Saem entered her flat—and Juna had floated through the door—Saem dashed into her room. Juna followed her and entered her room. She saw Saem kneeling next to her bed, her head resting on the mattress.

Juna sat down in front of Saem's body. She watched the empty brown eyes of her best friend fill with tears. Slowly these tears were streaming down Saem's cheeks. Saem was crying her eyes out. 

"S-Saem..." Juna started. "What's wrong?" She knew the girl didn't understand her. She knew the girl couldn't see her. Juna's form flickered. "I miss you, Juna", Saem suddenly said and Juna froze on her spot. "I miss you so much", Saem wiped the tears of her cheek.

"Why'd you leave me like that... you promised me, that we would travel to Busan together once we graduate. Graduation is six months away. Why did you pass away so suddenly?" Juna knew that Saem wouldn't hear her.

"I'm sorry that I left you alone, Saem. I really am. Who knew that the cab I took would crash? Who knew that the driver would survive and I would die? I didn't plan this, Saem. I really didn't plan this." Juna looked at her friend. Sadness flashed over her form and she turned into the injured version of herself.

"I don't want to live in a world without you, Juna. I can't live in a world without you." Saem hid her face in her quilt and Juna felt bad. She was looking at her usual confident friend. But Saem's complete confidence was washed away. She was nothing but a shell from herself.

Juna watched Saem stand up and walk over to her desk. She took out a little container and came back. The container used to hold mints, but when Saem opened it, Juna saw a razor. Silver, sharp and dangerous. The razor was grinning at Saem and the girl took off all her bracelets.

"Saem... Saem... I swear to God..." Juna was watching Saem taking the razor in her hand. She was moving the sharp blade towards her skin. "Don't cut yourself!" Juna screamed, her form flickering like crazy. "Don't you dare to cut yourself!"

For a split second Saem lifted the blade and looked at her wrist. "What if I join you, Juna... I really want to have you back... Please..." Saem turned the blade—her vision was hazy from all the tears she cried.

The blade ghosted over her pulse artery until Saem closed her eyes and cut. "No!" Juna cried and moved towards Saem. It took seconds, no, milliseconds until Juna realized what happened. She had slipped into Saem's body, temporarily taking control of it.

Juna closed her eyes and concentrated. She did her best. She tried everything in her might to close the massive wound, but nothing helped. Clumsily she stood up and walked to the telephone. She called an ambulance, trying to keep Saem alive. She could hear Saem in the back of her head.

She was screaming. Saem was screaming.

Juna didn't remember how long it took for the ambulance to arrive, but as soon as the paramedics were there she left Saem's body and dissapeared into thin air. 

Before she completely dissapeared, she could hear Saem cry out her name. Saem saw her. She saw her dissapear into thin air.