Chapter IV | FOUR

Our eyes were locked together; I was unable to look away, my heart deep into the pit of my stomach.

He knew.

It was impossible for him not to, he had witnessed everything. Sweat formed on my forehead as I maneuvered through the large crowd of people, stopping at the edge of the bar, only a few feet away from Chris.

I tapped my hands on the bar top, the bartender all the way at the end, tending to another customer. Looking to the side, Chris was still staring at me, his expression blank, only making me feel more anxious.

My eyes focused on the side of Chris’ face, only to see Abraham behind him wrapping his arms around Kim and pulling her onto the dance floor.

“You’re fuckin’ your boss, huh?” He shouted, a large piece of ice in his mouth.

I lowered my brows, pushing my bangs from my eyes. “Excuse me?” I leaned over, acting as if I didn’t hear him.

I knew exactly what he said, I just wish I didn’t.

“I said you’re fuckin’ your boss, right?” Chris put the small glass of liquor to his mouth, downing it and pressing his lips together.

Chuckling mostly from nervousness, I quickly shook my head no. “Oh no no, we were just going over some business stuff.” I lied, my hands trembling against the modern glass bar top.

 I wanted to walk away from him, far away, and forget this ever happened. But I couldn’t, I would look even more suspicious, so I stood there watching as he full pink lips turned into a smirk.

“You ain’t gotta lie. Y’all screwin’, no big deal.” He chuckled, lifting his hat up some and fixing it on top of his curly hair.

Scoffing, I rolled my eyes, becoming more irritated with him. He was an asshole. The bartender finally made it towards my end of the bar, looking up at me with his large orbs. “What can I get for you?” He asked, his thick black curls perfectly falling down.

“A water, please.” I flashed him a quick smile. My eyes couldn’t help but to watch as Abraham danced with Kim in the middle of the dance floor, her arms snaked around him, his head buried in the crook of her neck.

Turning back around, the bartender placed a glass in front of me, quickly walking back towards the line forming at the end of the counter . I brought the glass to my lips, the cold water sliding down my dry throat, my body instantly cooling off in the hot club.

“Let’s dance.” Looking over to my side, Chris’ 6’2 frame towering over me, his large hand extended.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I frowned, placing my glass down. “No thank you.” I dug into my clutch, feeling for my cell phone, searching for any type of distraction or excuse to get me away from him.

He didn’t seem to get the hint, his large body still standing in front of me, his eyes burning a hole in my face. “Look either you can dance with me or look like an idiot while he plays you out there with his wife. You pick.” Chris acted as if I had no other option, as if he was doing me the favor.

Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I hated to admit it, but Chris was right. I looked like the idiot, watching as he flaunted his marriage in my face, only to sneak around later tonight for my company.

“Fine. Just one dance.” I mumbled, standing up straight and grabbing my clutch before walking ahead of him. Once in the center of the dance floor, I felt Chris’ strong hands around my waist, slowly turning my body around to face him.

He didn’t bother to smile, my hands locking around his neck as we moved to the slow song. I felt myself staring at him, I hadn’t noticed how gorgeous he was until now. The dim lights cascaded perfectly on his bright yellow skin, his thick brows complimenting his large brown eyes. I stared at his full pink lips, admiring the sprinkles of freckles on his face.