Chapter 3

KATIE

Wow, I can't believe that I haven't tried a rifle before. It's so much fun and I love it.

When I'm done, I pull the hearing protection down around my neck and put the glasses on the bench.

I turn around and hug Gunner who's got as big of a smile as me. "Thank you, that was so much fun."

"I knew that you would like it."

"Teaching my Princess to be a sniper, huh?" Dad says and we turn around towards him.

He stands there with a proud look on his face, and beside him is Nate...I mean, Beast...with his smirk and dimples. God, it's going to take a while to get used to calling him that and seeing him like this...hot and all.

Dad gives me a hug. "I saw you on the cameras. I'm proud of you, Princess."

Of course, he watched me, but this time I'm actually glad that he did.

"Thanks, dad," I say, smiling.

"Yeah, good job, Shorty," Nate says.

"Thanks, Gargoyle."

He snorts and chuckles "It's Beast."

"Whatever."

"We're having a welcome home party for Beast at the bar tonight," dad says.

"Good for you. I'm going to Molly now," I say, placing the hearing protection on the table.

"You should come."

"I'm not old enough, remember?"

"Doesn't mean that you have to drink. Everyone will be there. Even Jake, Colin and Lucy...and your mom and Amy. You can bring Molly."

"I'll think about it. I'm sleeping over at her house tonight."

"You're not seeing that Liam guy, are you?" he says with a stern voice.

"No, dad, I'm not... thanks to you." I mumble out that last part while walking out the door.

"You better not or I won't be so nice the next time."

God, give me strength.

BEAST

"Who's Liam?" I ask Tank when Katie has left

"Her fucking boyfriend. She doesn't think that I know. Ellie and Amy think that they are smart, covering for her, but I know. That boy won't be breathing for long if he keeps coming back. Fucking prick."

"You know that she's 18? You can't keep her locked up all her life if you want to keep her around," dad says.

"I know I can't," he says rubbing his neck, "but that little fucker isn't worthy of her. He's some jock who thinks that he's the bomb. I don't think Katie sees it, but I know the type. I have my eyes on him. We usually drive by his dorm on our way back from the warehouse, revving our bikes to scare him a little," he says with an evil grin and I match it.

He turns to me. "I want you to keep an eye on her. You've always been good at keeping her safe."

"Yes, Prez."

Gladly. I want that fucking prick gone too. Katie's mine.

KATIE

Me and Molly decided to have lunch at Charlie's. There're new owners from a year back, but the food is just as good and it's 'the place to be', if you can call it that, here in this little town. There's usually not that many people here, but if you don't want to hang around the bar...where my dad is, so no thank you very much...Charlie's is the place you go. Lunchtime is usually slow, though.