2: Towards the Moon

The man watched as the girl fell forward, and slowly made his way towards her fallen body. Bending down in front of her, he placed his hand on her head, about to force her forget all that she had seen and replace her memories, surprised by the fact that she had seen anything at all, when a black cat brushed against his side with a meow.

Pausing, he stared down at the cat, his face a mask of shock as the cogs in his mind paused and restarted. Taking his hand off of the girl’s head, he released a chuckle, which rapidly erupted into loud laughter.

‘So, you were still alive, Freyja,’ he said, wiping the tears that had sprouted in his eyes as he had begun to laugh.

Freyja looked away from him and turned her gaze towards her adopted daughter and nodded shallowly. Placing a paw on his black clad leg, she released her thoughts into his mind.

‘As you know, this is just my Ki that I placed in this doll, nothing else. My body is still in that room, as lifeless as a lamp. Despite the pain that Alys must be going through, you mustn’t make her forget. She needs to know.’

Pausing for a moment, she continued, ‘You got my letter? Good. On the day of my funeral, as was said in the letter, and will be with my will, you must now protect and look after the child.

The man slowly nodded, but opened his mouth, a question on the tip of his tongue.

In time, Gray.’

Gray snorted, partially annoyed at his childhood friend, although he had been long used to it. ‘Well, I’m sorry that I was late, if I had come sooner, I-’

No, you couldn’t’ve. Besides, it’s better this way.

Confused at Freyja’s reply, Gray thought it would be best not to ask any more questions, and continued to follow her into the night.