Murder Day

One

"Everything good there?"

"Yes, the cables are done." When do I get the cash?"

"I don't simply give out 1 million if I don't see success yet. You will only get the cash if there is success tonight. If not, I will buy you a casket instead."

"Yes sir, I will not dissap..."

"Cut the crap. I'm a busy man. Merry Christmas. Delete this number after use. Bye."

Beep. Boss hung up. How rude, the man thought. He and his partner left the place.

Two

Charlie's word was taken so seriously, all the trainees didn’t once look at their Facebook news feed, nor did they tweeted anything. That was amazing, I thought, no Facebook for youngsters seemed worse than having no food.

But Charlie, I mean, Lieutenant Charlie Harvey, chief senior detective of the government detective firm, Sector 51, could not risk someone posting a "Protecting Prime Minister Jones, luvin it <3", post or tweet. He was always that serious, not taking any chances to give the enemy any leakage of classified information. The stern expression of his face was present everywhere, even in his wedding photo. (I went to his house warming.) Always frowning, the lines on his forehead, thick eyebrows and moustache, he literally had the face of your local Sherlock Homes.

Tonight's activity was a Christmas gala dinner at FutureTown, and although it wasn’t the detectives’ job to protect VIPs, the Prime Minister’s bodyguards were just not enough, and they were all blurs recruits. It seemed all the other bodyguards went with the President to some Business meeting in another continent. I had a bad feeling about this though.

My god, so many supporters. They all held oversized boards congratulating the newly elected Prime Minister. Only one month in office but highly favoured by other big guns round the world. I waited near the restaurant compound and awaited the PM's vehicle.

From afar, I saw a black Mercedes driving towards me driving safe between the 4 police cars. Clearly the spirits of those supporters rose and they cheered. Loud horning noises and policemen on motorbikes creating a safe space between the Mercedes and the crowd. Of course, being the PM of the nation, there was no need to wave to the crowd. He didn’t even have to get to locations by wheels; he could have asked to go by helicopter, anywhere anytime. I bet he chose car transport for the loyal fans to catch a glimpse of him.

Three

I would estimate, about 20 metres from me, that was where trouble started.

All cars stopped. The car window of the Mercedes lowered, and the driver of this gem whispered to one of the traffic policeman. The PM decided to walk the 30metres to the compound.

Fan cheered as the PM got out of his car, and using his signature wave of his hand, fans roared. As he was escorted, the ground shook suddenly. The next moment, chaos erupted.

Something exploded. The PM went flying off the ground, smoke was everywhere. Sudden flashes of camera reporters in the hazy aftermath made it look like a storm on ground level. The PM landed on top of the black Mercedes, antenna penetrating through his heart, lifeless. Frightened by the gory scene, many fans screamed, some puked and most of them ran away, screaming," The PM is dead!" Others were frozen by what just happened, and tried to make some sense of that but to no avail.

Charlie and I were stunned too. We hurried to the now crime scene and listened to the assistant head of PM security; the head was badly injured.

Charlie-"Oh, Nathan, what in the world?"

"I really don't know, I didn't know such a terrible thing could happen to our PM, but I can be sure that justice will prevail. Stupid terrorists."

"Please don't make wild guesses. Don't be too sure about terrorists, they may be political rivals. You can be sued for false allegations.

"Yes, mother, you don't have to lecture. Listen, I've got to entertain the press, and it seems we need your team to work this out. Prepare someone, or a group; whatever it is, Sector 51 must be ready to take this case, since the FBI is busy with North Korea's business."

Me-" You can count on us, we will not disappoint you."

Charlie-" Or the country."

Me-" Yep, and the country too."

Four

Mother gasped when she heard the news about the PM's departure when watching the news at 8. I told her to cool down, and promised to find whoever responsible. Clearly, she was an avid fan of PM Kenny and wished his death wound not be so gruesome, and although she didn’t curse often, she cursed aloud for a good five minutes. Never had I saw her so depressed since 1997, when I failed to make the cut for English school. She sent me to Police school reluctantly. I thank her for that choice; I enjoy my job now.

Mother-" Father has high hopes for you. Following your footsteps and all.....visit him before you go for detective work. I guess you will not be going home until the case is over. Denise and Beth will miss you."

She forced a smile. I hugged her to comfort her.

Me-" I hope you understand my commitment and duty to Sector 51. I will return home safe Mum. That's a guarantee. "

Lesson number 1 of Detective work- this business does not guarantee anything; not even your life. I'm the adventurous type, I don't mind to die for a worthy cause. If life throws you lemons, throw them back.