Chapter 30.1

All eyes are on Jesse as the sheriff escorts him to the witness box. My stomach flips like a gymnast.

"Mr. James," says Mr. Burnham, his voice smooth and calm, "please give us your account of that night in Whistler."

Jesse stares straight at me as he describes the events at Whistler that led to the hotel room. His story is identical to mine in every detail. Unlike me, Jesse is not nervous. He talks about kissing and taking off clothes and underwear and bras and breasts with remarkable candor.

"When you told the complainant that you 'wanted to be inside her', what was her reaction?" asks Mr. Burnham.

Jesse's voice is strong and unwavering. "She said 'okay.'"

"Meaning what, in your mind?"

He adjusts his glasses. "Meaning we had a covenant." He laces his fingers together, his hands resting calmly below his waist.

'Covenant'? Where does Jesse get these words from?

"Did she give you any indication that she did not wish to have sex?" says Mr. Burnham.

"No, sir."

"Did she fight you? Push you off? Scratch you? Shout at you?"

"No, sir."

"Thank you, Mr. James." He turns to Laura, says, "Your witness," then sits back down. Laura takes the podium. She picks up the bound leather book from her table. Jesse stares at it and tugs the collar of his shirt. He pulls his gaze away, but only for a moment. His forehead takes on a faint sheen.

"Do you recognize this book?" asks Laura.

"Yes," he says. Jesse adjusts his glasses and clears his throat. He drums his thumb on his opposite wrist.  

"Is it yours?"

"Yes."

"Did you keep it in your school locker?"

"Yes."

Laura passes him the book. "Please read the title."

Jesse closes his eyes for a moment. When they open, he takes the book from her. He forces himself to read: "The Game: Penetrating The Secret Society of Pickup Artists." His voice is strained.

I glance at Alex. This is clearly not a book of God.

"Your Honour, the Crown refers to Exhibit Two," says Laura, reclaiming the book from Jesse. "This was found in the accused's school locker during a search by Constable Walker."

"What's Exhibit One?" I whisper to my mom.

"Dr. Garbus's vial," she says.

"Sections of this book are underlined," says Laura. "Did you underline them?"

"Yes," says Jesse, miserably.

"Why?" says Laura. She flips through the protruding blue Post-It notes.

Jesse tries to make eye contact, but can't look away from the book. "Because they're the most important."

"And this is your handwriting in the margins?"

"Yes," says Jesse.

"Please describe what the book is about, Mr. James," says Laura.

Jesse's voice is strangled. "It's a first-person narrative about a man who reinvents himself."

First-person narrative? Since when did Jesse pay attention in class? He was too busy making time with Alex.

"Who is this man?" says Laura. "How and why does he reinvent himself?"