Ch. 31 Popped a Socket

I was startled from the vision by the sound of loud voices arguing outside the door. I ignored them and tried to remember what the goddess told me to do. I focused on my center until I felt great  power within me just out of reach. I reached for it and recited the phrase the goddess had taught me.

"Et quiescam nec dolor," I repeated over and over to myself. Suddenly I felt and saw a shield or protective barrier surround my body. It looked just like a giant bubble, it started at my head and slowly slid down to my feet then disappeared from sight. I could still feel it though, it almost felt like being held in a tight warm embrace. I heard the voices get louder and I started to pay more attention to what they were saying.

"Dalton just get rid of her. I want this over with so we can go back as a couple. I even rejected my so-called mate for you," Emily said, plaintively.

"Of course you did, because you know I'm more powerful than he is," Dalton boasted. 

"Oh is that right?" Emily asked, rolling her eyes.

"Yes it is, now excuse me. I'm going to go have some fun," Dalton said, shifting the stuff he was holding so he could open the door. 

Dalton entered the room. He was holding the handle of a metal bucket and had several boxes of baking powder tucked into the crook of his arm. "Well good morning sleeping beauty, I have a present for you. It's a gift for your death," he said with a laugh. 

He stalked towards the bed. I whimpered in fear. I wanted to squeeze my eyes closed but I also desperately wanted to know what was in that bucket. A strong pungent smell burned my nose and my body began to tremble uncontrollably. I’d never smelled it before but I was pretty sure I knew what it was. He lifted the bucket and went to dump the contents onto my naked body when a loud crash startled us both. The door came off its hinges and hit the floor, then a long dark shadow suddenly appeared in front of me. 

The horrid sound that filled the air next confirmed my suspicion. The bucket had been full of acid, and Luke had just thrown himself into its path to save me. I have never heard a guy scream in pain before and I never want to again. It was the most horrifying thing I’d ever heard. Before I could do anything to help him another dark shadow tackled Dalton to the floor. It was the same huge black wolf I’d seen in the woods. 

It knocked Dalton to the floor and clamped it’s jaws down on his neck. It’s sharp teeth punctured his flesh, blood covered its nose and the floor. It shook it’s huge head back and forth, the flesh ripped and tore then there was a loud pop and Dalton’s head came free of his body. There was a disgusting thud when it landed on the floor in a puddle of blood that it tracked across the floor when it rolled to my feet. 

I was staring at it in shock when I noticed Fredrick unchaining my wrists from the cement columns. My legs had given out long ago and someone had to catch me before I made contact with the floor. I fell into Declan’s strong waiting arms. I opened my mouth to say something but instead I burst into tears and wrapped my arms around him. 

"I-I knew you guys would come. Where's Alec? I thought he’d be here first" I said, after I finally calmed down. 

"I'm right here my love," Alec answered, from across the room.

I turned to look at him, and was a little thrown off by his bare torso and sweatpants. But it was so good to see him I quickly pushed that aside and was filled with a burst of energy. I ran towards him and fell into his warm embrace. When he picked me up off the floor and cradled me in his arms I finally felt safe. Even though my body screamed in agony from all the movement and some of the scabs even busted open and started to bleed. It didn’t matter now that he was here. I buried my head in his chest and tears streamed down my face with reckless abandon as I repeatedly told him I was sorry. 

He pulled me gently away from him. "Why are you saying sorry? This isn't your fault at all," Alec said gently. His face went cold as he looked at Dalton's dead body, "It's his fault, and now he’s paid for it."

I’d completely forgotten I was naked until Alec sat me down and draped a big sweater over me to cover my body. I cringed when the cloth rubbed against my newly opened scabs, but I completely forgot about myself when I heard someone groan off to my right. I glanced in that direction and gasped in horror and shock. I ran to Luke's side and tried to hold back my wide range of emotions. His arms and torso were missing large patches of clothing here and there and you could see horrible burns underneath, but that wasn’t the worst of it. The whole right half of his face was burned so badly he was almost unrecognizable. It looked red and angry and the skin was completely missing in places. It was almost like his skin had tried to melt off of his face. Before I could yell out to Alec for help he was there. He supported one side of Luke and Declan supported the other.

“Leave me, tend to her,” he mumbled, and weakly tried to shrug them off.

“Don’t be dumb, we can tend to both of you,” Alec responded.

“Elena? Can you walk?” Alec asked, looking back at her in concern.

“I think so,” she said, limping forward.

Alec saw the cuts on her thighs had busted open causing blood to run down both of her legs. He balled up his fists in anger. He almost wished he could bring Dalton back and kill him again only this time he’d do it much slower.

“Fredrick do you mind so I can-” he asked, gesturing towards Elena with his head.

“Yeah, of course,” Fredrick responded, jumping forward to support Luke.

Alec walked over to Elena and scooped her up in his arms. She whimpered as the scabs on her back cracked from the movement but tried to hide how much it hurt behind a small smile. 

“Let’s get out of here,” Alec said, looking down at Elena.

They were headed towards the door when Gianna and Emily walked through it. Gianna tried to make a run for it but it was like she couldn't move or something was blocking her way.  What was happening? Was someone keeping her from moving? Maybe they’re using magic, like the shield I’d put over myself. I looked around to see if I could identify who it was. Declan's face seemed full of concentration, maybe it was him.

"Are you doing that to her? How can you do that? Is it magic? Is it possible that I can learn that?" I asked in wonder. Declan's and Fredrick's faces both went still from shock.

"LET ME OUT OF HERE YOU DEMONS!" Gianna screamed at the top of her lungs, pounding on the invisible wall.

"That's not going to happen, you know they won't do it.” Emily said, glancing back over her shoulder at Gianna. She looked over to Luke and disgust filled her face, “Ugh look at you. What happened to your face? I'm so glad I rejected you. No one wants a monster as a mate. Where's Dalton? Did he run away or did you kill him?" Emily asked.

 I gasped and I felt Alec's growl. I looked over at Luke and he was even more white than usual. I suddenly got this feeling in my gut. He was a kind sweet guy and he was stuck with her? I gave her my deadliest stare. Which made her face whiten and she took a few steps back. But before I could say anything to her Fredrick cut me off.

"Don't worry about him, because your fate is worse than his. His death was quick while yours is going to be painful," Fredrick said

"Oh, so he's dead? Well damn, I thought he would put up a good fight. Oh well." Emily said with a shrug.