Cat & Cupid #SPKSADcontest

February 13

5:35 p.m. Cat's Apartment, Los Angeles Arts District

The sun had started to set as Cat walked in the door. The remaining rays of sunshine reflected off her glossy white living room table, kitchen cupboards, and bar countertop. She loved taking in the sight of her chic studio apartment. She labored to paint it white and complimented it with black furniture. The city view from her floor length window looked like something out of a postcard. It was almost like the bachelorette pad she pictured for herself when she was 12. The only thing missing was fresh flowers in that lone red vase sitting on her living room table.

As a teen, she imagined that she would have had a boyfriend by now. The kind of boyfriend who would bring her flowers that she would proudly display on that table. The kind who would make Valentine's Day special just because he knew that would make her happy. Alas, she was still single at the age of 22.

She sighed at the sight of the empty red vase and grabbed artificial flowers from a kitchen cabinet. Then she sat on her black reclining leather couch and turned on the TV. She couldn't find anything good, so she turned the TV off. Her phone light up with a call from her best friend Diggory aka Love of Her Life Who Will Hopefully Notice Her Anytime Soon.

"Digs, do you have ESP?" she asked. "How did you know I need a friend right now?"

"My god, Cat," replied Digs. "When do you not?"

"Shut up," she laughed. "Why did you call?"

"Well, it's about tomorrow."

Cat's heart started beating faster. 'This is it,' she thought. 'He's finally going to tell me he loves me!"

She cleared her throat and tried to act calm. "What about it?"

"I know I said that I'll go with you to the Single Hearts thing."

"I better not hear a 'but,' following that sentence, Digs, or I swear!" Cat wailed.

"And I know how much it means to you," he continued carefully as if he didn't hear her threat. "And it means a lot to me because it means a lot to you, however,"

"What a smart mouth," Cat interrupted. "You know Digs, it's okay. You're just my best friend. Since childhood. I mean, you were bound to get sick of me and leave me in the air like this. So what, if I attended the Single Hearts Party that I RSVP'd for 2? What was I thinking, that you would accompany me, so that I could be the envy of those hater single girls at the office? Because no matter my similar single status, I have a hot best friend who keeps me company on Valentine's."

"I knew you'd understand!" Digs said quickly and hung up.

Cat stared at her cell in disbelief for a good five minutes before leaving it on her couch. She tried to stay optimistic about the party. Maybe Digs is planning a surprise. Or maybe not. She probably should not get her hopes up. She marched lifelessly to her bed and crawled under her covers.

February 14

9:05 a.m. Cat's Office, Los Angeles Financial District

"Knock knock, nine o'clock," an attractive man dressed like cupid stood by Cat's door. "I'm actually five minutes late, but are you Cat?"

"If I say yes, are you going to sing?" she asked cautiously.

"I am a singing telegram," the cupid replied.

"Well then, no," she said. "I'm not Cat."

"But it says on the door --"

"She's out for coffee," she interrupted. "I'm just here looking at some of her paperwork."