One Step Closer

At school, no one picked on me, it was quite surprising. But what had surprised me more was the fact that they were actually nice to me. If I dropped my books they'd come to my rescue, or if I forgot my pencil they'd lend me one. It was really scary to be honest, I was afraid they were being nice just to crush me. But all day long they were so kind to me, even after school, like on the bus, or seeing them as I walked home from the bus stop. What had gotten into them? Did they get some deadly disease? Or maybe a brain eating parasite? When I got home I went straight to my homework, trying to forget the strange, frightening acts of kindness. When I had finished reading my book, and all 5 pages of algebra homework, the clock said it was 6:37. My mother hadn't come up to tell me it was time for dinner yet, that was odd. She always came up stairs and knocked on my door around 5:30-ish to tell me dinner was ready. I ran down the stairs, what if something happened to her? I slowly looked around the corner at the bottom of the stairs. The bullies from school and my mother were talking to each other drinking a cup of, what, hot chocolate? No, maybe it was tea, I didn't know. Anyways, I walked the rest of the way downstairs and asked my mother if dinner had been made yet.
"Oh no, I'm sorry dear, we just got talking and I completely forgot!" My mother replied.
"It's ok mom, I'll make dinner tonight," I told her.
I boiled some water in a pan on the stove and stirred some Marconi noodles in. But when I strained the noodles I burnt my hand on the scorching hot water. I managed to get all the water into the sink, but my hand was throbbing profusely. I added the cheese sauce and scooped some onto a plate for me. Then I covered the pan, and went upstairs. I told my mother as I walked up the stairs I had made dinner, and that it was siting in the pan. I still didn't trust those monsters downstairs with my mother. I knew they were up to something, I didn't know what, but I had a feeling it was bad. I went to bed early that night, turning my light off and closing my eyes I opened them to the bright room again. The girl in the mirror was staring at me with those creepy eyes again.
"Your next test," she began, "is to read the minds of others."
"Read minds? That's impossible!" I exclaimed.
"Why nothing is impossible when you're the chosen one," she said.
"What am I supposed to do to be able to read minds? Is there like some ritual I have to perform?" I asked.
"No, no, no," the girl replied. "All you have to do is close your eyes and imagine your mind reaching out to theirs. Image a string of light connecting your mind to the other persons mind."
The girl in the mirror snapped her fingers and we appeared in my living room. I saw my mother still talking to the bullies at my school.
"I-I-I have to read their minds?" I gulped.
"Yes," the girl said, "close your eyes and imagine your minds connecting."
I did as she said, I saw a bright pink line of light go from my head to theirs. In an instant I heard one of my bullies thoughts.
"Hahaha, we're going to get all of Sarah's secrets from her mom and ruin her life at Humble Hill High!"
"Those jerks!" I thought, "I know my mother wouldn't say anything to ruin my life... Hopefully."
Then I connected the line of light to my mother and heard her thoughts.
"I'm wondering if I should show them some of Sarah's baby pictures, they seem like her friends. Or maybe tell them a funny story about that one time at the fair..."
"Oh no," I thought, "oh no no no!" I closed my eyes and opened them, I was laying in my bed. I raced downstairs to stop my mom from saying anything embarrassing.
"Hey mom did you eat any of the Mac and cheese yet?" I interrupted her.
"Oh no I'm sorry dear, I just keep getting so caught up in chatting with the nice friends of yours," My mother replied.
"Mom can I talk to you a minute, in private?" I said.
"Why of course dear," she told me, later telling my bullies, "excuse me for a moment."
When me and my mom were upstairs in my room I looked at her with a deadly stare.
"What's wrong sweetie? You look upset with me," my mother said.
"Because I am!" I screeched, "you're talking to my bullies! The kids that call me such terrible things at school! The same people that embarrassed me in front of my crush and the whole school!"
"Now, now, you're overreacting, these kids are nice people," my mother said attempting to calm me down. But in reality it just angered me more.
"It's just a front mom! Can't you see? They're faking it all, they're playing you! They just want to know some embarrassing things about me to ruin my life some more at Humble Hill High!"
My mothers shocked face said it all. Great, I was going to be grounded, and she was going to tell my bullies all my secrets and ruin me. I closed my eyes and imagined the line of light going from my head to my mother. I thought over and over again, "you want to believe your daughter, you will believe your daughter." And surprisingly my mom finally spoke up.
"I believe you, I'm going to send those kids home," she said, "I'm sorry I upset you."
"It's okay mom," I said, "really it is, I'm just glad you noticed how much they bothered me."
I heard my mother walk down the stairs and tell everyone they had to go home. Then I heard the click of her removing the cover to the pan and her scooping the Mac and cheese out. I walked downstairs and hugged her.
"I knew it upset you to do that," I smiled. "But I'm just happy you listened to me, Thank you." I walked back upstairs to my room and continued to sleep.
"Where did you go?! You seriously got me worried!" The girl in the mirror shouted.
"I read the minds of those kids and saved myself," I replied.
"How? What?" The girl said confused.
I relayed everything that had happened, and when I told her about me changing my mothers mind with the line of light, her jaw dropped wide open.
"You what?!" She shrieked.
"I changed my mothers mind with the line of light, was that bad?" I fearfully whispered.
"No!" She exclaimed happily, "that was tomorrow's test!"
"Hahaha," I smiled, "I'm ahead then!"
"You bet!"
We sat and talked for the remainder of the time, and I teleported her with a click of my fingers to the apple tree in the middle of the forest. We sat eating the delicious apples talking about our lives. Then the vision started fading and I opened my eyes to see I was back in my room. I got dressed quickly because I had overslept. I grabbed a bagel off the table, hugged my mom, grabbed my backpack, and ran out the door. The freezing air hit my face making my eyes water. My bagel started getting harder and harder to eat as I walked to the bus stop. I finished it as I arrived at the bus stop, the bus pulled in about five minutes later. 10 freezing kids pilled into the bus and set off for school. I wondered what would happen today, considering my bullies didn't get their information. But also I thought about how much fun I was going to have with my new abilities...