Epilogue

******A month later******

EMMA:

David had received so much notoriety after having saved Anna and me that the FBI offered him a position at their headquarters in Washington, D.C. For my sake he didn’t want to take it initially, but I convinced him nonetheless. I was going to put my house up on the market and move to D.C. with him. At that point I was willing to do anything and everything for him, no matter how much I had to compromise. Besides, after all that went down, there was no way we could both keep living in the same town.

“Is that the last of it?” David asked as he watched the movers haul away an oversized cardboard box.

“That sure is,” I said in relief. No matter how many times I did it, moving was always an overbearing chore.

David wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. “So you still sure you want to do this?” His demeanor was relaxed, so I assumed that the question must have been a joke.

“As sure as I can ever be,” I said to humor him as we kissed. We could hear the movers grunting at our PDA, but could care less. “I have something to tell you.”

“OK,” David said with a shy smirk.

“I don’t know how else to say this, so here it goes. I’m pregnant.”