Day One

Day One: First Day of Kindergarten,

School was starting. For many of us, it was our first time. Two dozen five-year-olds held fast to their parents' hands as they were dragged toward the building. Like every other kid, I was excited and yet apprehensive about going to school.

            The breeze nipped through my new jacket. I could still feel remnants of summer dancing in the wind, but fall was definitely on its way.

            I was vaguely aware of my mother urging me to step forward. Such was my awe of this strange building that it didn't quite feel like she was actually there. I clutched her hand tighter. The full realization of that day had hit me-- my mother wasn't just going to leave me here with a bunch of strangers... was she?

            Up the steps we went. One step, two step, three. The whole way up I stayed a step behind my mother. Earlier that morning, I had been so happy. What had happened since then? Fear. Fear had happened. It had begun to settle in. My only consolation was that I noticed that other children were doing the same thing that I was. I was grateful that I was not the only one.

            My mother pushed the door open and nudged me through ahead of her. Other students swarmed the hallways. Other older students. Students that were used to school. Would I ever be like them? My gaze followed the crowds as they rushed past.

            We waited in the hall for our teacher to greet us. Suddenly, the front doors burst open. And that was the first time I ever saw her.

            Even then she was pretty, although at that time, it was a cutesy five-year-old pretty. She had a huge smile stretched across her face, and she looked more confident in herself then the rest of us kids put together. In truth, our confidence level was equal to zero.

Her parents followed behind. It seemed like she was the one leading them! Her dark curls bounced, and her cheeks were bright and rosy. I found myself unable to look away from her eyes. They reminded me of the chocolate chip cookies my mother and I made on special occasions. I felt like I could melt inside of those milk chocolate pools.

            Just then, the door to our classroom opened, and we all filed in, diverting our eyes from everyone else.

            Too soon, our parents left us with the teacher. She was a short, round woman that was barely taller than some of us. Her gray hair and wrinkles reminded us of our grandmothers. Needless to say, we felt totally comfortable with her.

            The first suggestion was for us to stand up and say our names to the rest of the class. Each kid came up and mumbled their name hardly loud enough for anyone to hear. That was until the teacher told her to come up.

            "Hi!" she exclaimed. "My name is Gwen, as in Guinevere from King Arthur!"

            Gwen, I thought. It suits her.

            Some kids were obviously thinking "stuck-up", but they might not have had a word for it.

            Before long, it was my turn. Every eye was glued on me. I'm Max. I barely managed a whisper.

            "It's nice to have you in our class, Max." the teacher said.

            Gwen flashed me a big grin as I sat back down. For some reason that I couldn't understand, I found myself blushing.

             "All right, kids, it's time for recess!" our teacher called.

            I was putting on my jacket when I heard a girl named Emily Bright talking to Gwen.

            "So you're named after a princess, right?"

            "A queen."

            "That's pretty neat. Do you want to go play on the swings with me?"

            Gwen shrugged. "I don't see why not."

            Huh? Emily looked at her, puzzled. I felt the same way.

            "That means yes!" Gwen quickly explained.

            Oh, I thought. Maybe I did know that.

            The two girls raced outside to beat everyone else to the swings. As for me, I headed for the sandbox. Another boy, whose name I remembered was Tommy, was going in that direction as well. Pretty soon, Tommy and I were the best of friends, and I could see that Gwen and Emily were too.

            All it took was one recess.