Perhaps, Love

It's not every day that you get a call from a famous scriptwriter. 

If you were to ask anyone if they've watched a drama that she had written, the answer was almost always yes. Her dramas garnered critical acclaim and boasted top ratings.

So when she had gotten a call about possibly starring in a new fantasy-genre drama with Actor Gong Yoo sunbae-nim, her heart almost leapt out of her chest with nervousness and excitement.

Prior to Cheese in the Trap, she had not been casted for any TV dramas. Her unconventional choices in her career thus far, had not painted her out to be someone who was destined for mass-consumption on glossy TV screens.

Nevertheless, she was excited to have gotten an offer from the legendary Kim Eun Sook.

After all, she had written one of her favourite dramas of all time. Favourite because it had gotten her through some pretty rough times. Also, partly a favourite because of Kim Tan, played by one of her secret celebrity crushes – Lee Min Ho.

Perhaps, she might be able to work with him someday, she thought.

THREE YEARS EARLIER

When asked why he had decided to take on this role, he paused for a while.

"Before I grew past my twenties, I wanted to play a more upbeat character, one that would allow me to return to that feeling of simple, uncomplicated innocence that I had when I was younger."

It was true.

After the accident, he had spent a lot of time thinking about what he wanted in life.

He had enjoyed success after getting his break in Boys Over Flowers as the wealthy high schooler chaebol heir Gu Jun-Pyo. Acting in a few choice dramas after that had only propelled himself further into the limelight as a Hallyu star.

It would be wrong to say that he did not relish the success, but it would also be wrong to say that he didn't feel something was still missing from his life.

He had considered not taking up any acting projects for a while, to shift his focus back on things he really wanted to do.

There were so many things he still wanted to experience.

Like love. The thrill of love at first sight.

The pure honesty that comes with being able to express your love wholly and fully with someone you love deeply.

In the future, he had thought perhaps, he wanted to experience the kind of love that Kim Tan had. Maybe settle down and start a family.

However, when writer Kim Eun-Sook came to him with an offer, he could not resist. After all, she was a good writer, and any project that she did came with good success.

He was halfway through his twenties, and getting an offer to play the role of a high schooler again before he could no longer do so appealed to him. It was sort of his last chance to embrace the youthful side of himself in a drama.

Perhaps, something good would come out of this, he thought.