nine

"You ready Joey?" Bob calls up the stairs as Joey checks himself over in the mirror.

Today's the day he's surprising the fan and he's actually a lot more nervous than he thought he would be. "Yep, be down in a second," He answers and smooths down his t-shirt before going to get in the car.

As they're driving along the road, his parents in the front and him in the back, he gets a text.

Morning x

It's Lauren. He grins at his phone; since that call on Thanksgiving things had been going amazing between the two of them. They had been calling most nights when they were both just lying in bed and it felt so intimate and comfortable. Joey had find out more about her and found himself telling her stuff he never thought he'd tell anyone. But he trusts Lauren completely. He knows she'd never judge him or think of him badly, no matter what he said, and vice versa.

Morning Lo x

He texts her back, feeling a lot less nervous now he has Lauren to talk to.

What are you up to today? x

"Shit." Joey thinks to himself and breathes out slowly. He hasn't told Lauren about this fan thing. He hasn't told anyone. He just doesn't want that kind of attention from any of his friends and he knows they'll only make fun of him. He'll probably tell her at some point, but it isn't a big deal right now.

Nothing much, out with the parents x

He replies, trying to convince himself that it's fine because it's not exactly a lie; he is out with his parents. He sighs and leans his head against his seat; maybe this isn't such a good idea after all.

***

"You okay honey?" Denise rubs his back supportively as Joey shakes himself off outside the fan's front door.

Joey nods and gives her a smile. "Yep."

He knocks a couple of times and then steps back, feeling extremely nervous now. A few seconds pass before the door is opened to reveal who Joey only assumes to be the girl's parents. "Hi!" The woman smiles at him and holds out her hand for him to shake.

Joey takes a step forward and greets her, the man does the same. "Nice to meet you," Joey grins at them.

"Bob, Denise," The man smiles at Joey's parents as he steps further into their house. The woman gestures for everyone to be quiet as they go into one of the rooms and take a seat on the sofas.

"Thank you so much for coming Joey," She says quietly and smiles at him.

Joey shrugs. "Not a problem."

"So the plan we had in mind," The man leans forward on the sofa. "she's going to be watching the musical you were in, and when it comes to your part of the song, maybe you could come out and sing it? How's that sound?"

Joey laughs and nods. "That sounds great." He thinks for a moment. "I'm assuming you mean Back to Hogwarts?" He turns to his parents and Denise smiles at him reassuringly.

The woman nods. "Yeah, that one."

The five of them consult the plan a little longer and then take Joey to the door of the kitchen, where he can hear lots of excited voices inside. He laughs quietly and the parents smile at him.
"Okay, we'll go in now and get the musical set up, you should be able to hear your cue through the door. Okay?"