11

If (Y/n)'s brain had the ability to send itself spiraling out of her skull due to the bombardment of overwhelming information, it would have done so the moment Greed began explaining Central City's transmutational structure. Her brain would have been beyond saving when the Homunculus then explained the goal that Father was scheming to achieve in the said City.

Greed decided to start with Isaac McDougal. He reminded her of who he was, and how he had been killed by the Fuhrer the night he had attempted to bring down Central Command. (Y/n) hadn't been sure why his name was brought up, but it slowly started to make me sense the more he explained and the more she recalled details from the official report of the incident. It had only been shared with her because Roy happened to tell her about the majority of cases that weren't strictly 'confidential'. She remembered how McDougal wanted to bring down Central Command, not because he was threatening their lives but because he wanted to save the lives that were being threatened by King Bradley's rule, whatever that meant. McDougal must have known about something going on in Central Command, and whether that was connected to the Promised Day or the military itself- (Y/n) wasn't sure.

It made her wonder though. If Isaac had been trying to protect the country, why was Bradley the one to eliminate him? What was so sinister about King Bradley that the former state alchemist felt the need to rid Amestris of?

(Y/n) asked Greed about it, and he dismissed the question. He told her that it would be better to explain that particular aspect to the entire Mustang Unit when the time was right. (Y/n) didn't necessarily appreciate that answer, but she kept her mouth sealed upon remembering that he was willing to tell her so much already.

Greed redrew the image of that night in her head. McDougal had been able to create a transmutation circle using the entire City, and Central Command was the very center of it. After painting that picture fresh in (Y/n)'s mind, he presented her with an inquiry that he was already well aware of. His very words were: "If Central Command is the center of Central City's transmutation circle, think of one a little bigger. What would be the center of that circle?"

(Y/n) hadn't taken much longer to figure it out. Central City was the very heart of Amestris, the center of the country. If there were to be a transmutation circle larger than that of Central City's, it would be drawn around the entire nation. That explained why Father and the other Homunculi remained in Central Command- they were planning to use the center of Amestris to create a country wide transmutation circle. (Y/n)'s hands moved to cover her mouth when Greed told her why, why sacrifices were needed, why the circle would be as big as the country, and why Father had been so adamant about seeing his plan through.

And it all went back to the Philosopher's Stone.

A plan that had been 400 years in the making to use the people of Central City to create a Philosopher's Stone. Father wanted to see the world burn. He wanted to reach out to God and steal The very power of Them for himself. He wanted to understand every secret of the world, the universe, and higher beings. As he did to the people in Xerxes many many years ago, Father would do to Central, and would take the lives of the people in town to use for his own personal gain. He would strip the very souls away from men, women and children, again, for the sake of his own desires and impossible ambitions. What kind of being tricks themselves into believing that they can grasp God's hand and pull Them into their own body, obtaining Their divine strength and power? How pompous must one be to believe that they are worthy of putting themselves above God and Truth?

(Y/n) was a scientist, but unlike Edward she was generally open to the idea of spirituality. As someone who held the innate ability to open herself up to others and take on their mental plights and joys, she felt she had no right to toss the idea of God away. She remembered when Edward told her about "The Truth", and how he had been able to transmute with nothing but his hands after having seen the secrets of Alchemy- the secrets of humanity. Nothing could make him see things that are blind to the ordinary human or alchemist eye except Truth itself, nothing except God. Right?