Chapter Nine

Peeta goes downstairs, but Katniss lingers on some of the photos.

"You can take some. For the memory book. Finnick would want you to have more." Katniss smiles and takes the picture of Enobaria and Finnick, the morphlings for Peeta, and one she hadn't noticed before, of her, Cressida, Messalla, Castor, and Pollux boarding the hovercraft. She leaves the photos of Finnick.

When Katniss walks downstairs, she finds Peeta talking to a young girl, maybe seventeen. Their conversation is interesting.

"So how do you know Annie?"says the girl.

"Oh, she's my friend. I knew Finnick personally. You?"

"My aunt. Dad's sister. So, a two-time survivor, right? How'd you manage it twice with killing less than ten people?"

"I had allies to do that stuff for me. Even the girl from 5, I didn't mean to kill her. It was the berries."

"If you could, would you bring some of the people you killed back? Or were they all trying to kill you?"

"I'm not sure. Cato looked pretty broken in the end, but I suppose the girls from 5 and 8."

"Yes, I watched the 74th and 75th Games when Annie told me you and your wife would be here. That was a really excellent strategy, to say that she was pregnant."

"Haymitch helped me with it. How'd you know it wasn't real?"

"Oh, I just had a feeling. The way you looked down at your feet. To the Capitol, it just looked like you were embarrassed. But I can always tell when people lie. Speaking of Haymitch, I'd like to meet him and Effie. So many victors that I haven't met! It was a pleasure to meet you, Peeta. I'm sure I'll see you again."

"It was nice to meet you too. Have a good night, and don't be surprised if Haymitch isn't entirely sober." The girl laughs.

"I'll take my chances."

Katniss reveals herself, feeling bad about eavesdropping, and asks who the girl was.

"Her name's Mellow. Annie's niece. Fifteen," says Peeta, "Smart kid. She's over by Haymitch if you want to talk to her." Katniss nods and sees Haymitch and Effie laughing disorientedly and Mellow looking somewhat annoyed. Katniss approaches her and sits Haymitch down in a chair. He takes Effie by the waist and sits her on his lap. She giggles, then her head falls to her chest and she is asleep. Mellow looks grateful.

"Thanks. All they wanted to do was drink and laugh at me. I'm Mellow, by the way. You must be Katniss. I've heard a lot about you. I was wondering if I could interview you sometime for a school project."

While Katniss thinks this over, she has time to fully take in the girl. One eye is very dark green and the other is an ice blue. Katniss considers this a rarity. She is very developed, with wide hips and broad shoulders. Her hair is a color that cannot be placed, a mix between orange and red, but so much deeper. Katniss obliges to the interview and gives Mellow the house phone number. Mellow smiles at her, and walks away. Even the way she walks is different from others. Strange girl, Kansas thinks, but she can't help knowing how much she already likes Mellow. Her casual voice, the flattery, and her wide-set eyes that differ in color are the most attractive features of all. As she walks away to snag a cookie from the table, a hand reaches out from the coat closet and grabs a single hair from Mellow's head.