The Reading Circle

The Reading Circle

    Although it had meant moving hundreds of miles, Beth O’Flaherty felt it was an opportunity she couldn’t refuse.  Her company had offered her a promotion, but had told her that it meant moving to Marino Bay, in Illinois. 

    Beth had agreed.

    She didn’t have a boyfriend and her family lived in Alaska, so she didn’t see much of them anyway.  She was now living in a small house in the south side of the city, and her new boyfriend, Robert had moved in with her.  Her devout Catholic mother, Agnes, would have been mortified, but Beth wasn't concerned.  She really did love Robert, and vice versa.  Robert made her feel special and cared very much about her.  They had met in the supermarket one day, when Beth accidentally crashed her shopping trolley into his.  One thing had led to another, and before she knew it, they were living together. 

    Since Beth was new to the town, she didn’t know anyone, until she had met Robert.  But she still missed some girlfriends to socialize with.

    It wasn’t until two months after she moved in, that she found out about The Reading Circle. 

    She had been walking home after buying groceries, when she noticed a group of women walking from a large house on the left side of the street.  They were all holding a large, black book. 

    A woman standing in the doorway of the house shouted, ‘See you all next week!’

    Beth crossed the road and walked towards the house.

    ‘Excuse me!’ she said.  The woman turned and looked at Beth, bemused.

    ‘Yes?  What is it?’

    ‘I don’t mean to intrude, but, do you and those other women run some sort of club or group?’

    The woman frowned and paused for a second.

    ‘Er, we are The Reading Circle.  We gather together once a week, and we... discuss books.’ The woman said.

    Beth’s face lit up.  She loved to read.  In her old house, she had two, huge, floor to ceiling bookshelves.  She had been bored one day and had counted all her books, and it turned out she had seven hundred and fifty-three books.

    ‘Oh, and if you don’t mind my asking, how do you join ‘The Reading Circle’?’ Beth asked.

    ‘Er, I’m sorry, but we don’t accept new members.  It’s, sort of a private club.’ The woman said.

    ‘Oh please.  It’s just, I’m new to the city, and I need some friends to, you know...’

    ‘I’m really sorry, but we don’t...’

    ‘Please...’ Beth said quietly.

    The woman sighed and looked at Beth for a second.  Then she smiled.

    ‘Okay then.  I guess we could be doing with some new members.’

    ‘Thank you.’ Beth smiled gratefully.

    ‘Okay, we meet here every Saturday at six o’clock.  I’m Rena Satanur.’  

    ‘Beth O’Flaherty.  Well, I’ll see you then.  Thank you again.’

    Beth began to walk away, but Rena shouted her back.

    ‘Take this.’  She handed her a paperback copy of A Perfect Stranger by Danielle Steel.  ‘This is what we will be discussing next week.’