Chapter VI: The Matter of Invitations

CHAPTER VI

The Matter of Invitations

All of Southgate Manor was in a jolly mood as the chores for the ball were near to being completed. All the preparations had been made: Katherine had chosen her dress, assisted by her ‘helping hand’ Penelope Braithewaite – a strong family friend and indeed a close one, to Katherine.

All that was really left to do, aside from preparing the food, was writing the invitations.

“Oh, we must invite the de Belle’s.” Penelope asserted as she assisted the Bensons as to who would be most proper to invite to a stately ball (as she did have the most experience in the matter and took great pride in being the person who was foremost in-the-know about the do’s and don’ts of the partying society.)

“Well, then we must!” Katherine agreed.

“Would that mean all four?” Henry enquired.

“Of course! Why, it would be most improper to leave some behind: we must invite Edith, John, Marcus and Mary – oh! and don’t forget the Solleys, too, they do still count as part of the de Belle family, and I dare say Mr Solley would be a most applaudable figure to have attend.”

Jane’s hands began to ache as she speedily wrote all of the names down – why, Penelope could talk indeed!

“I must also put in a little word for Mr John Creswick, who has been most admirable of late, and surely the more the merrier!”

“Ms Braithewaite, may I put in my own word?” Henry enquired quietly.

“Of course, Mr Benson; you may – ‘tis your own ball after all, and one wouldn’t want to steal the show!”

“I might like to invite Mr Williams.”

“Williams? Your good friend from London?” Katherine asked her father, who nodded in return.

“I suppose I must invite my brother,”

“Oh! But Mr Benson I must indeed advise you not to! Although I am sure your brother would be most enjoyable company, I do believe there would not be room enough to accommodate such an overwhelming character in the circles of our society!”

“Father, may I invite some who I have met before? The Lintons?”

“Oh! The Lintons! What an unusual lot!” exclaimed Penelope. "Katherine; this you must reconsider!”

“But, my dear Penelope, they are most delightful, and it was in fact they – no, actually it was a relative of theirs who suggested this very ball in the first place, without which you would not be here! Please; I must do the gentleman some credit and invite him at least.”

“And what name does this gentleman go by?”

“Mr Harlow – a very respectable and polite young man I should think, with little cause for making trouble at our ball, I’m sure.”

“Has he connections?”

Katherine shook her head. “I know he is a barrister in London, but I know very little of his connections, I am afraid.”

Here, Henry stepped in. “Penelope, I am sure you can make this one allowance.”

Penelope did not look quite comfortable with this decision, but nodded nevertheless.

“Miss!” a young servant came running into the drawing room. “Miss Benson!”

Katherine turned.

“What is it, Emilia?”

“You have a letter – oh! I am sorry, it came four days ago, but in the rush of the ball I’m afraid I misplaced it and forgot to give it to you – but! all’s well, I have found it once again, and do beg for your forgiveness!”