Better Days

Hii! Yeah, I know I took a lot of time to post the fist chapter I just had exams at uni and well, didn't have the time to write :( But here it is, the first chapter of this new story. I really hope you like it and give it a chance. I didn't edit this so if you see any mistakes please let me know (: Have a good weekend! I'll upload the second chapter soon (:

~.~.~

“I wish everyone was loved tonight, and somehow stop this endless fight. Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days. 'Cause tonight's the night the world begins again” Better Days - Goo Goo Dolls  

        The tree outside the window was rocking slightly. Its leaves were under the wind's will, it seemed to me it was teasing them. Seeing just how taut they could get before inevitably being ripped from their life force. Ironically while the wind is the one at fault for the leaves’ demise, it was also the one to cushion their fall. Maybe it wanted to mock them, make their death as slow and infuriating as it possibly could be. But I guess life is just like that, ironically bittersweet.  

        A sigh left my lips as I let myself fall against my bed, my black tresses spilling over my pillow. Slowly but surely a burnt smell reached my nose making my nostrils flare to verify its veracity. Not missing a beat I stood up and half ran to the kitchen.  

        "Fuck" The curse left my mouth without thinking it through. A pan was resting on the stove, black smoke curling all around it and filling our kitchen. Muted sounds from my feet could be heard as I hurried to grab the pan before dumping it in the sink and letting the cold water cool it down. Waiting for the hissing sound to stop I racked my brain trying to figure out what went wrong.  

        My chain of thoughts were interrupted by an "Oh my God!" shout and a familiar face showed up. My dear sister was at the kitchen entrance with an open mouth and a guilty expression on her face. Debating whether I should ask or not I decided to hell with it and took the plunge.  

        "Cassandra, may I know what happened here?" An exhale left my mouth and my fingers were pinching my nose after turning off the water. 

        "Whatever do you mean Kat? I'm an innocent bystander in all of this" Her nonchalant expression left her face when I raised an eyebrow knowing perfectly well this was her doing "Fine, fine. I might've been making some pancakes when I got the urge to pee really badly and afterwards I might've forgotten that I was cooking"  

        Used to her pleading eyes and sorry face I just shook my head and replied "Why doesn't that surprise me. Just clean this mess up, I'll make breakfast today." 

        Cassandra is six years younger than me, making her fifteen years old. Unlike me, her hair is strawberry blonde although she has the same eyes as me. She reminded me a lot of my mom, personality and looks-wise.

        Two and a half hours later I finally finished making breakfast and we were walking through the door. Even though I was in university, I chose later classes so that Cassie and I could walk to her school together. 

        "Thanks for walking with me, I'm sorry about this morning" She said with contrite eyes and a smile.