Chapter Twenty: Your Grace

"I don't need these silly dresses to dictate how suitable I am for marriage and whatnot. In fact, I don't need a marriage at all." I read, putting in the accent, tone and pace I thought suited the setting and emotion. "I am my own woman," I declared. "Besides, they make me itch. Would you scratch that part of my back, dear?"

Diana gave a soft smile, getting into character as Hazel. "Of course."

"Ugh, balls with the fancy, pretentious pleasantries people give each other. If mother hadn't threatened to marry - more like sell-" I uttered in distaste "-me to some wealthy, old grandpa, I wouldn't have come at all."

"I think your mother just wants you to find a guy that would make you happy."

I deadpanned at her. "I know you don't actually think that, Hazel."

Diana shrugged. "Well, I was trying to make you feel better. Did it work?" She smiled sheepishly.

"No," I answered truthfully. "Though thanks for trying. We both know mother all too well to think she'd care about what I want. She'll be happy to find me a suitor who'll be able to make us richer than we already are and elevate our status." I sighed in defeat and Diana patted my shoulders.

"Come on now, Miss. We don't want those fine gentlemen waiting for your fair beauty now, wouldn't we?" I chuckled and Diana acted as if we were leaving.

A week of rehearsals has passed. We were mostly going with our own improvisations but every now and then Ms. Wilde would insert some comments to change some things. When there was something she felt off, she told us what it was and gave us some advices how to do it better. We had read the entire script all together but so far, we've only finished a few acts, and they weren't even polished yet. Aside from that, Mrs. Wilde and Kira made sure that aside from the actors, the prop and costumes team, the musical team and the technical team were doing their work and are prepared. 

It was the first time the school produced a play the students themselves wrote. Mrs. Wilde said she had a hard time convincing the higher-ups but they managed to do it. It gathered quite the expectations from students, some very curious even ones tried to sneak up during rehearsals. The school play was always anticipated by the the student body at the annual High School Day but more people seem to be interested in watching it this year.

Grey and I, surprisingly, tried to be as professional as possible when we were on stage, though I wouldn't say that's the case when we were off it. We would fight about small things and would insult each other's acting once our scene was done. And I'm still wary of him, he hasn't made his move but every now and then he would hint at it.

I stood in front of Grey as he pretended to watch the extras move around on their own accord. We were at the ball, and he, Armand, and I, Chrisanta, have just been newly introduced. 

"Your Grace, Duke of Welstone," Xandra and I curtsied. She was a blonde girl like me and she played Lady Delia, my mother. 

"Lady Delia," Grey acknowledged. Oh, I'm sure he's internally enjoying all this scripted respect and superiority, I thought. "You're enjoying the ball, I presume?"

"It's quite lovely and dazzingly glamorous, Your Grace," she answered while I just stood there, playing the part of an indifferent woman who would rather be anywhere else but there.

Grey, as his character dictated, noticed me. "I see you have company. Would you be so kind and introduce this fair beauty to myself, Lady Delia?" Oh, I'm sure saying that killed him a little inside.

"Yes," Xandra said eagerly. "It's an honor to introduce to His Grace my darling daughter, Lady Chrisanta," Xandra presented, giving me little push at the back.