74

"She certainly does sleep like a Queen," The voice of the girl who'd "rescued me" woke me up partly

I didn't open my eyes, trying my best to pretend I was still asleep. I didn't fully trust her. As a matter of fact, I didn't trust her at all. I didn't know where I was- or who she was. The events from a few hours ago were hazy- all I remembered was following a strange cloaked girl, promising me an escape.

I didn't remember why I'd complied. She could have been one of the many Aridians who detested me, or a spy sent by Amancio to see if I would repeat my past mistakes.

I made sure to keep my eyes firmly shut, even though I could spare a few looks, just to take in my surroundings. It felt like we were moving, slowly but en route.

"Do you think we should wake her up?" Another voice asked. There's two of them? I thought to myself. This voice sounded female, and strangely familiar.

"She's been awake for the past five minutes," The first girl said, matter-of-factly.

I'd been caught.

I opened my eyes and almost had a heart attack. We were on a boat, in the middle of what looked like the ocean, clear bluish water surrounding us. I had been in a boat before, but this one looked hardly sturdy.

"Don't panic, we're not here to cause you any harm."

I turned, causing the boat to sway.

"Ashley?!" I gasped. I didn't think I would ever see Ashley again- after her father was murdered by The Dark Lords. She'd left mid-competition and I couldn't help but assume she was locked somewhere in The Ground with the others.

But there she was, looking like a completely different person.

Her dark brown hair was tied into a lazy ponytail, a healing scar under her right eye. Her eyes looked wiser, like they'd held more knowledge than they could handle.She was dressed in black trousers and a long-sleeved brown top, a sheath at her waist- causing me to wonder what she'd been up to.

"Madeline, it's been a while, hasn't it?" Her lips pulled up, sarcastically.

Ashley and I weren't the best of friends during The Choice but due to recent circumstances, I was sure bygones were bygones.

"Where have you been? And where are you taking me? And who's she?" I nodded towards the girl I'd first met, who took a bite out of a sandwich, almost completely ignoring me.

"This is Allegra, she's a friend of mine I met when I left the palace. We're taking you to The Dark Bloods camp- that's where I've been all this time," Ashley explained.

"The Dark Bloods are another rebel group in Ardia, I wish I had the patience to give you a history lesson but unfortunately, I don't," Allegra shrugged.

Just when I'd thought I was done with rebel groups.

"There's an island a few miles south of the Aridian coast. To the rest of the Aridians, it's forgotten territory, but to us- it's home," Ashley added.