Chapter 3 - On My Side

A week later, Louis sat in the corner of the cell. His legs were curled underneath his body and Zayn was sprawled beside him, asleep. If someone were to look in the cell he would appear just like any other dirty prisoner, the same ones he’s looked down on the week before.

There wasn’t much he could say for prison life, but it certainly wasn’t glamorous. Each day, the prisoners were woken by loud sounds early in the morning, the sounds varying by what the guards could find. They filed out of their cells and into one long line, at the end of which were bowls of something mushy that you only ever ate if you were hungry enough to feel like passing out.

After the morning meal, prisoners were escorted back to their cells and left there to do whatever they pleased. If someone so much as stuck a finger out of the bars, however, a guard was always there and ready to break the disobedient finger. This meant that Louis had a lot of time to sit and chat with Zayn, but he quickly grew bored.

Day by day, Louis grew more and more courageous. He began to venture around the cell, getting a closer look at the other inmates. Many of them desperately needed a toothbrush, comb, or a new outfit, but the thing he noticed above all was their eyes.

He could tell which prisoners were innocent and which were guilty by the looks in their eyes. If there were a guy who looked ragged with fear, he would be innocent. It was the ones with hardened eyes and thick builds that Louis learned to be careful of, after his earlier encounter with Siva.

In the entire week he had been in jail, he hadn’t heard anything from Max, Eleanor, or his supposed lawyer. He felt lonely and avoided, though Zayn was constantly at his side, thankful for a friend after his long years of solitude.

With a state of mind like this, Louis wasn’t expecting anyone to ever try to talk to him about what happened. They had all the ‘evidence’ they wanted: he was apparently high as a kite, at the scene of the murder, and holding a bloody weapon. But he knew deep down that he was incapable of such a thing and hoped someone would give him the chance to prove it, and maybe take Zayn along with him.

The guard that Louis had been getting friendly with swung open the door to their cell, peering around cautiously. Louis shook Zayn’s shoulder to wake him before standing.

“There you are! Eleanor’s waiting for you,” he said, gripping onto Louis’ arm and tugging him away from his friend.

“What about Zayn?” he wondered.

“It’s all about you now, Louis. If you worry about him, you may never get out. You wouldn’t want that, now, would you?”

Louis shook his head but didn’t stop praying that his friend would get his chance for freedom as well. He was a loyal friend, if anything at this point.

“Lovely to see you again,” Eleanor stood to greet him in her office.

“Likewise.”

“Now, I know we didn’t exactly part in the best of ways. Whoever it was that you used your call for, Max, I believe, what did he tell you to get you so upset?” she questioned gently.

“I told him the situation and he didn’t even sound sorry for me. He sounded like he was having a great time wherever he was, which he confirmed isn’t here. Max isn’t going to be back in town for another few weeks if I’m lucky and I don’t know anyone else here since I’m new, so there’s nobody here on my side save for Zayn. Though he can’t really help me, either,” he sighed, frustrated.

“Well, Louis, I could help you if you’d let me,” Eleanor offered with a small sympathetic smile.

“Really?” His eyes glowed with something akin to hope.

“Yes, really,” she smirked, and Louis couldn’t contain himself any longer. He shot out of his seat, wrapping his arms around the consultant and squeezing her tight until she had to warn him she couldn’t breathe. “You’ve got one strong grip there,” she commented.

“Sorry,” Louis blushed. “So, what can you do to help me?”

“I believe we covered this last meeting, but it will be difficult to defend you properly since you don’t remember the incident or anything around it. However, I came to the conclusion that if there were anyone to help you, it would be the absolute best of the best. Do you have a clue who I’m talking about?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Let me guess, Mr. Harry Styles, esteemed lawyer around the nation?” Eleanor nodded to confirm his suspicions. “And how do you propose we get him on my side?”

“There will be no need for any convincing, Mr. Tomlinson,” a new voice cut in.

“What the-“ Louis spun around, searching for the source of the voice. When he turned back to face Eleanor, there was a curly-haired man standing beside her.

He gaped at the man. Not only had he seemingly appeared from nowhere, but also he was incredibly handsome. His dark curls were swept at the perfect angle and his face had the perfect mixture of youth and maturity. His eyes glowed a lovely shade of green, and he was of a nice build, though he had quite a long torso. As he moved to stick a hand out, Louis noticed his large hands with slim fingers.

“Harry Styles, at your service,” the man smirked.

So this was the famous Styles lawyer. Louis had heard about him many times, as had anyone who didn’t live under a rock in the sense of important trials. He had participated in many major cases and was always victorious, no matter how impossible it seemed for his side to win. He made an excellent defense and prosecution lawyer, and was desired by every criminal in any prison anywhere. Why he was standing there now, in front of regular Louis who couldn’t afford such a defense, he had no idea.

“I-I’m L-Louis,” he stuttered anxiously. “Pleased to m-meet you.”

“There’s no need to be nervous here, Louis. We’re all here to help. Yes, that means both Eleanor and I are on your side. There’s no nee for you to hold anything back in front of us, as we’ve seen almost everything before. We can only help you if you give us something to help you with,” he spoke wisely. Louis found himself entranced by the emerald eyes.

“You’re going to be sorely disappointed, then.” He stated bitterly, “to find out that I don’t know anything of what I supposedly did or how I got here.”

Harry only smiled. “I know. Eleanor filled me in just moments before you arrived. Don’t worry; I will do everything in my power to win this case. Remember this: Styles never loses. I’ll see you tomorrow, but please do try to think of what you’ll be telling me before then. Goodnight.”

“Like any night here is ever a good night,” Louis grumbled, but Harry’s words were stuck in his head. If he always won a case, did that mean that Louis actually had a chance? That he might see the outside world again someday, and not rot in his cell like the others? The notion brought a smile to his face.

“I know you’re uncomfortable here, but please do try to relax and think for a little. You’d be surprised by how much it helps. I’ll see you soon, Louis.” Eleanor stood and walked him to the door, shutting it behind him.

It was only when he heard the click of the cell door that he remembered his second priority. How had he forgotten to ask Harry about what they could do for Zayn? It was his best friend here in jail, after all. He decided that he’d have to mention Zayn in their conversation the next day, since there wasn’t a way he knew of to find Harry once he was down in the cells.

The cell was still dark, damp, and dirty, but Louis had something new to keep him from breaking.

He had hope.

Written by in_L_O_V_E