The Backstabber

Chapter 4: The Backstabber

   “I thought that you would’ve left school already,” Jodi smirked.

   Lance looked around cautiously and saw everyone’s, even the teacher’s, eyes trained on them. Lance opened his mouth to say something back at her, but he uttered not a word and closed his mouth. He didn’t want to get in a stupid argument with her about his stay at Hoffton Christian High.

   “For one thing,” Lance thought. “Why would I change schools if I only have one week left in school? Then if I tell my parents that I want to transfer, they are going to flip and ask why. The news hasn’t reached them yet or at least no one wants to tell them so they won’t freak out. If I can’t have peace at school, I rather have it at home.”

   Lance wanted to tell everyone to back off and leave him alone. They were with him for three years and didn’t mind him at all, so why now?

   “What did you say?” Lance heard Jodi asked.

   He blinked his eyes and stared at her. He wanted to hit himself for saying that last part out loud. He looked around and saw Jason looking at him. They made eye contact and Jason looked away instantly.

   A low sigh escaped from Lance’s lips. “I said, ‘Why now?’”

   Jason looked back at Lance, but Lance had already looked away.

   “What?” Jodi asked.

   Lance stood up out of his desk and glared down at everyone. “Do you have a hearing problem? I said, ‘Why now?’ We were such good friends for six years now, Jodi. Now the fact that I’m homo, you can’t handle it. Plus, I could just be bi since I’m only attracted to one dude, so sorry other guys, you’re not my type. Anyway, you guys have known me for three years now. I followed the school rules and I still follow God’s laws. I can’t help who I’m attracted to. Why don’t you people just get off my back? Leave me alone. I will be gone in nine days and Patty, I don’t care for valedictorian, so if you want it, you can have it. If my sexual orientations change who I am then you guys are stupid.”

   Lance sucked in a needed breath and just stared at everyone. He had a lot on his mind and he wanted it out and so he felt relieved and satisfied when it finally came out. Since the days his secret was out he felt such a heavy burden on his shoulders for being something that went against his beliefs. Now he felt relieved that his frustrations were out.

    He looked around and saw everyone’s faces, all in thought of what he said. Most of guilt played on their faces and he liked it. Not for the guilt that they felt for treating him badly, but for them actually thinking of how wrongly they judged him. He glanced at the clock and it read ten forty-five. The bell for the classes to start was supposed to ring forty minutes ago, but it hasn’t. Class usually started at 10:05 a.m. and it ended at 11:30 a.m. He had twenty more minutes of Hell.

   “Time sure flies by, “Lance thought.

   He wanted to smirk at his results that came about, but that thought quickly vanished as he heard screams coming down the hall and the sound of a machine gun being fired between the screams.