My Heart with Jonah

My Heart With Jonah                                                                                                     

It seemed so happen so quickly but as I saw it, the world moved in slow motion, like one second was ten. The world almost froze when I saw what happened. His skinned rippled when the silver knife went through, the sweat practically jumping off of his skin. I felt my world ended, since that was what he was, to me.

The man holding him against the knife pulled the blade out of him in a fast movement. I could hear the vibration of the blade, it made a dinging noise when it felt the air again.

For the three seconds it took for Jonah, him to fall to the ground, it seemed like three hours in my perspective. That picture of him falling; it will never fall from my memory. Then, his body hit the ground. A loud thud and then the sand under his back rubbing against the tar sounded, too. My eyes were open and my jaw fell slightly open. I was in shock, it seemed.

Then, I looked up to the mysterious man. The murderer. The look in his eye, the blank look tore deeper and deeper into my flesh, like an animal, straining to be free, and would demolish anything in its path. I could imagine blood pouring out of me like a waterfall would to its river. The man began to take a step forward then suddenly he fell!

He was tripped. Jonah pulled him by his ankle and forced him down. Then, as the man tried to get up again, he grabbed my ankle and tripped me to the ground also. My back hit the tar with a tremendous force and my head only hit it softly.

"Don't you dare touch her!!" Jonah said like a growl, his teeth clenched.

The muscles in his neck were tight and almost bulging out of his neck from the anger painted across his face. His eyes were strong and his eyes were cross. Then, he lifted himself over the man and held his neck between both of his hands.

"May you burn in the flames of hell," he said, his voice still wrathful and his teeth still clenched.

Then, there was a long, quiet sigh. A last breath, perhaps. Jonah moved back, on his back again, to rest then, he moved towards me.

"Mary," he whispered. His eyes were glossy and the color in his face fell to a paper-white.

"Jonah?" I caught him as he began to fall to the tar again. "Jonah!" I said again, in a whisper he began to say my name, too.

"Everything will be okay, it will be fine," I said, tears began to run down my face and to the tar, already wet.

"No, Mary. You can't-- you can't say things you don't mean," he stopped in the middle of his sentence to swallow. "If you love me, you will let me go," he whispered.

"Jonah, I'm not letting you go, I can't." I looked down, so he couldn't see me and I began to sob.

Then, he slowly began to move his hand towards me, from out of his jacket pocket, and he lifted my chin to look at him. My eyes were red and tears swelled and fell down my cold skin.

"Will you love me forever?" He whispered.

I paused, looking at him. I was confused. Then I realized what he was doing.

He was saying his last words.

Before I said anything, I took his hand and then said:

"Forever and ever, babe," I whispered.

His skin fell cold. I looked to him, his radiant blue eyes staring into mine then to the bloody hand I held in mine.

I looked to him and saw a tear welling in his eye and then he smiled.

"I love--" He didn't day anything more then that. His voice was so soft and out of breath.

"You," I said, finishing his sentence.

His hand fell out of mine and it fell to the tar. I didn't want to watch, to see his head fall back but, I caught it so it wouldn't hit the tar.

Then I looked-- He left something in my hand.

I looked and there was a ring. The ring was silver and instead of a diamond, there was an oval moonstone. It shined in the light of the stars, and the moon that arose right over us.

I took the ring out of his fingers and held it in mine. I then clutched the ring in my hand and put it against my chest, the blood still staining my hand and now the ring. I then moved to lay next to Jonah, his cold corpse; and I put my head on his chest.

"Forever and ever," I repeated, looking back down to my hand.