Chapter Thirty: Truth n' Dare

"How has your first day back been so far?" Mason asks as we sit in the cafeteria together.

"I'm so sore from cross country," I complain, shifting my weight so my thighs don't ache as much.

"How is your new trainer?" he asks, wiping a bit of lettuce from his chin.

"She's good. I'm learning a lot, actually. Even though she looks tough, she's really nice," I respond.

"That's good," Mason says. "Let's go get the pon pons tacked up." As we leave, we both throw our lunch trays away.

I work on brushing Raquel until her coat gleams red, shining bright in the dim winter sun. After she's tacked up, Mason and I walk side by side to show jumping. I quickly warm up Raquel with a few cantering rounds in the ring, and watch as Mason does the same with Apollo. Soon enough, everyone arrives and we start the posture lecture.

~

"Come on, Mason, it's a Friday night!" I complain as Mason lies on the couch and pretends to sleep. "Let's go play some party games with the rest of the group. I finally urge him up and bring him to the top floor of the dorms, the one nobody uses unless eating on the balcony. Everyone is sitting in a tight circle, playing truth or dare.

"Alright if we join?" Mason asks, taking ahold of my hand.

"Sure," Reagan says, scooting over so I can sit next to her and Mason next to me.

"Only rules are these: Nothing too, you know, 'gross', and no backing out of any truth or any dare," Sam says. "You guys better not be wimps." With that, we start our crazy night.

"Cami, truth or dare?" Maggie asks me. I think for a second.

"Truth," I respond.

"Have you ever kissed a boy?" she asks, receiving laughs from everyone. I glare at her. "I'm just kidding. Real truth: Have you ever or ever thought of cheating on Mason?"

"No," I say solemnly. "Okay, uh, Reagan, truth or dare?"

"Dare?" she says, very unsure about her decision.

"I dare you to pour a bowl of ice water on your head," I say. "And you have to do it on the balcony right here."

Reagan glares at me, but I smile back to her and she stands up in defeat.

Twenty minutes later, Reagan is freezing and covered in three blankets (after changing!), Sam has ketchup in his hair, Michael and Paul switched shirts, and El had to stick an ice cube down the front of her shirt.

"Mason, truth or dare?" El asks him, squirming around to get the ice cube to melt faster.

"Dare," Mason says, grabbing my hand.

"I dare you to give Sam an auntie kiss," El smirks. "Borrow some lipstick and squeeze Sammie boy's cheeks, then plant a big kiss on his cheek, making sure the lipstick shows up."

"Fine," Mason sighs. "Cam, do you have any lipstick I can use?"

"Um, yes, let me go grab it," I say as I get up from my comfy spot on his lap. Three minutes later, I'm carefully applying red lipstick to Mason's lips.

"You look beautiful," I say, leaning back to admire my work. Mason stands up and walks over to Sam, who looks horrified. Mason squeezes his cheeks and coos 'My lil' Sammie boy is so cuteee!', promptly followed by Mason giving him a big kiss on his cheek.

We spend the rest of the night doing stupid things and asking bad questions. I go to bed early at ten, as the elite team has another meeting.

~

"Cami," I hear Maggie whisper. "Cami, get up. It's seven, you have lessons at eight."

I drowsily sit up and check my phone for messages. None. Getting changed, I think about what we're going to be doing for lessons today. I eventually manage to get to the cross country course at seven fifty-seven, and we get right into training.