𝖲𝗁𝖺𝗉𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖢𝗈𝗅𝗈𝗋

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾ ・・⚘・・ ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Lighting tore through the cloudy and murky sky of Scotland, shortly followed by the loud and bloodcurdling roll of thunder

Lighting tore through the cloudy and murky sky of Scotland, shortly followed by the loud and bloodcurdling roll of thunder. The Willow and what surrounded it were illuminated by the brief burst of white light before the grounds were thrown back into darkness and the sound of rain became the only sound that ruled the night.

Severus would normally enjoy this, autumn being his favorite season and all. He would be sitting by his tiny window in Spinner's End, reading with his mother, or in his cozy dorm down in the beloved dungeon common room of Slytherin house, listening to the rain mixing with the Black Lake that blanketed said common room and creating a melodic patter.

But he wasn't doing either of those pleasant things now.

Severus sat slumped forwards in the only other chair in the headmaster's office in Hogwarts, the soothing sound of rain drops hitting the high windows mocking him, as Albus Dumbledore stood over him, looking grim.

Severus could hear the portraits of previous headmasters and headmistresses that lined the periwinkle blue walls of the office whispering amongst themselves, asking who the black cloaked man was and what was his business here.

The questions didn't surprise him. He hasn't been to Dumbledore's office before because he never had any reason to come here before. But today . . .

Severus felt a mild stiffness in his neck when he moved it from the bent position it had been in for over half an hour now and looked up at the headmaster with red rimmed, tear filled eyes. "I thought . . . you were going . . . to keep her . . . safe . . ." he managed in between his heaving breathes.

Dumbledore let out a prolonged sigh. "She and James put their faith in the wrong person." he said somberly. "Rather like you, Severus. Weren't you hoping that Lord Voldemort would spare her?"

Severus felt the despair and grief wash over him in floods again and his spine suddenly was incapable of or unwilling of supporting him anymore. He slumped back into the back of his straight chair and put his face in his hands, his elbows resting on his knees, as a fresh wave tears assaulted his eyes.

Dumbledore's deep baritone broke through the thick vail of sadness that had separated Severus from reality for a few moments.

"Her son survives."

Severus slowly looked up at the headmaster but didn't say anything. What was there to say?

"Her son lives." Headmaster Dumbledore continued nonetheless, content with the knowledge that he had Severus's full attention. "He has her eyes, precisely her eyes. You remember the shape and color of Lily Evans' eyes, I'm sure?"

"DON'T." Severus bellowed when the mention of Lily threatened to shatter him into a billion pieces all over again. "Gone . . . dead . . ." he added in a broken sob.

Dumbledore coked an eyebrow as he observed Severus. "Is this remorse, Severus?"

"I wish . . . I wish I were dead . . ." Severus sobbed.

"And what use would that be to anyone?" Dumbledore casually asked, his tone calm as if they were discussing only lesson plans. "If you loved Lily Evans, if you truly loved her, then your way forward is clear."

Severus lifted his face and wiped his eyes. "What . . . what do you mean?"

"You know how and why she died." Dumbledore's tone was more serious and demanding now. "Make sure it was not in vain. Help me protect Lily's son."

"He does not need protection." Severus said angrily. "The Dark Lord has gone . . ."

"The Dark Lord will return and Harry Potter will be in terrible danger when he does." Dumbledore cut him off.

Silence took over the ancient office room, even the portraits ceasing their perpetual chatter for once.

Fawkes made the only sound in the circular office as he whimpered a little in his sleep, burrowing his magnificent head deeper into the crook of his massive red and gold wing.

The movement caught his eyes and Severus watched the Phoenix. He thought of how the death of a Phoenix didn't mean the end. That they always rose from their ashes.

Severus thought of how he could do the same for Lily, immortalize her soul by making sure she didn't die in vain. He slowly regained control of himself, mastering his own breathing.

He knew Dumbledore was right. Voldemort wasn't the kind of person who'd just obediently lie down and die. He'd find a way to come back.

And when he does, Severus will make sure the bastard would pay for what he did to his Lily.

"Very well." Severus nodded, determined now, wiping the remnant of his tears and squaring his shoulders to sit up straighter. "Very well." he added just to be clear. "But never . . . never tell, Dumbledore." he added in a demanding and yet begging voice. He couldn't live with the knowledge of others knowing he was willingly doing Potter, the arrogant fool, a favor. "This must be between us. Swear it. I cannot bear . . . especially Potter's son . . . I want your word!"

"My word, Severus, that I shall never reveal the best of you?" Dumbledore sighed, looking into Severus' ferocious anguished face with that irritating smile plastered on his lined face. "If you insist . . ."

Severus nodded and got up from his seat. He didn't even bother to bid the old headmaster farewell before he left the circular office and mounted the moving staircase to the griffin that guarded Dumbledore's office.

Once in the hallway, he took time to just stand there and call back cherished memories of him and Lily waking those halls to the library, or the Great Hall or out to the grounds for some fresh air. A faint smile appeared on his face.

And it was while he was standing there, pleasant memories laced with a bit of sorrow cascading down on him like rain was currently doing on that ancient castle, that the last bit of reservations he had were washed away. His mind was fully made up now.

Severus doesn't have to like the boy but he will do whatever he has to do to protect the child. For Lily. Always.

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾ ・・⚘・・ ‾‾‾‾‾‾‾