Chapter 4 | Revelation

Ripley Residence

Random street 

London, England

September 9

1600 hours

I was at home, doing homework just like normal when my phone buzzed with a text from Mike. I took a quick look at it and saw that it was a video. 

When I pressed play, I checked what Mike had texted me along with the video and he said that he had filmed this while he was walking outside his room.

The video was a film of a meeting that the teachers, principal, Alexander, and some higher-up employees at spy school. The topic they were discussing was whether I was needed back at spy school anymore.

"Honestly, I don't think he is needed," One teacher said. It turned out to be the history one. "We have many more spies like him, and Erica, our best spy, seems to get distracted by him. It would be better if Benjamin wasn't around anymore." They mumbled a bit of mumbling that had something like 'who seconds that' or something. 

Then they seemed to be voting, and I knew that the vote was unanimous. I wasn't going back. 

After that, Mike and I still talked regularly. I asked him if anything new was happening in spy school, and he was convinced that Erica was interested in me. I pretended that this was news to me and asked him why. These are our texts:

Mike: I really think that Erica is intrstd in u

Me: why

Mike: she seems more sad and distant after u left

Me: shes always distant

Mike: but not sad

Me: um maybe something happened in her family

Mike: If something happened to the Hales everybody would know

Mike: And also I found a picture of u in her room

Me: ur lying she never would let anyone in her room

Mike: except u

Me: can we move on

Mike: k

Me: just because she seems sad doesn't mean she likes me

Mike: fine but I still have a feeling

Me: bye

Mike: bye

Over the next few months, I settled into life in London and barely thought about spy school anymore. I even joined the football team. Over time, I even forgot about the CIA not wanting me back. We visited cool landmarks like Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and the British Museum.

Everything was as normal as it could get in London. Until the call came. 

Just like when I got the message from Mike, when the call came, I was doing homework and my parents were at work.

The phone rang and I checked the caller ID. It was the CIA.

"What do you want," I asked.

"Benjamin!" Catherine said. "It's so good to talk to you again!"

"Yes," I agreed. "Why'd you call?"

"We really need your help for a mission since you're the only person right for the job," Catherine explained.

"Last time I checked, the CIA didn't need me," I said. "They don't even want me back."  

"They don't?" Catherine gasped in surprise. "How could they ever not?"   

"I don't know," I said. "They were just having a meeting and voted me out."  

"Well," Catherine said. I could hear the anger in her voice. "I'll have something to say when I see them again."

"Thanks for sticking up for me," I said.

"No need for thanks," Catherine said cheerfully, all hint of anger gone suddenly. "We can arrange for you to fly in tomorrow."  

"That quick?" I asked.

"Yes," Catherine said.

"What will I tell my parents?"  

"Don't worry, tell them to call me back at a different number than this one and say that I'm one of your teachers. I'll handle the rest."

"Okay," I said. "Which number?"

"202 (random number)," Catherine said.

"Okay," I said.

"Cheerio!" Catherine said before hanging up. At dinner, I told my parents to call Catherine back. They told me that I was to go back to my old school for about a month since I still had some unfinished homework assignments or something. 

The next day, at about 11:30 AM, I said bye to my parents at the airport and met Catherine at the boarding gate. 

"Good morning, Benjamin!" she said. 

"Good morning," I said.

"I bet you're happy to see your friends again," she said. "I'm sure Erica will be very happy to see you as well!"

"Um, yeah," I said, uncomfortable. "So, when is our flight?"

"In about an hour. Do you want to get lunch?"

"Sure," I said. We went to get lunch at Subway. I had a tuna fish sub with lettuce, tomato, and olives. Catherine had a Veggie Delite. We finished eating at about 12: 15, and we still had about half an hour to kill. I got a snow globe from a gift shop, and Catherine got a cup of tea.

"We're going to have private quarters on the plane. I will brief you on the mission there since all the other participants already know it," Catherine said. Soon, we got on the plane and I braced myself for the long way home.