Chapter Threeღ

Dedicated to KMarieS3 for her lovely message! Thank you for being so sweet!

         Chapter Three

         "It's not me is it?"

        Dominic had finally answered his front door after my incessant banging. At first he had been shocked, his blue eyes taking in my disgruntled appearance. I had started crying then, reaching for him desperately and burying my head in his chest. He had held me for a moment, stroking my hair and demanding to know what was wrong with me. I had pulled away to look at him and that's when it had clicked, his eyes flickered down to my covered wrists before understanding dawned on his face.

        "Nadia, it's not me is it?" He repeated when I didn't answer.

        A chocked sob escaped my lips as I shook my head. I wanted nothing more than to be able to nod my head and laugh, to tell him that our dream had come true, that we were destined to be together, that we could have the future that we desperately wanted.

        It's not me." He whispered, more to himself than to me.

        He looked dumbfounded. He was still holding me, his blue eyes piercing into my own as he tried to come to the realisation that he wasn't my soulmate.

        "Dominic, I'm so sorry, I want it to be you, I love you and –"I started to say but he shook his head, causing my words to come to an abrupt halt.

        "This can't be happening," Dominic chocked, "I was so sure, so sure that it would be me."

        "It is you Dominic, to me you are my soulmate, no matter what this stupid tattoo says!" I promised angrily.

                      Dominic smiled sadly, "But it's not me."

                "I don't care!" I yelled angrily. "I love you and that's all that matters!"

        "You can't ignore what the universe wants for you Nads, and it doesn't want me and you to be together. You're supposed to be with someone else." Dominic told me softly, his eyes glazing with tears.

        "What are you saying?" I demanded.

        I watched him in confusion as he traced my features with his fingertips, tears trailing down his cheeks as he stared at me intensely, as if he were trying to memorise my facial features until they were burned into his mind.

        "We can't be together." Dominic sobbed, his eyes regretful, "Not when you belong to someone else."

        "No!" I gasped, "Dominic, the only person I want to belong to is you!"

        "And I wish you could, because I love you, I love you so much Nadia." He leaned forward, crashing his lips against mine in a soft searing kiss. I could taste the saltwater of our tears as I pressed myself against him tightly, as if I were trying to meld us together until we became one. He pulled away from me, his heartbreak clear on his face, "I always will, but we can't be together."

        He backed away from me, his expression pained before he turned around and walked towards the front door. I lunged towards him, my fingers curling around his forearm to try and prevent him from walking away.

        "Dominic please." I begged him, my voice frantic as I tried to prevent what I knew was going to happen. "I can't lose you."

        My heart stopped when he looked back at me, his expression broken as he tried to decide what to do. We were both crying, big tears rolling down our cheeks and down our necks. He took a step towards me and then stopped when he looked down at the hand that was holding his arm. My stomach churned as his eyes found the bold black lettering on the inside of my wrist and that's when I knew it was too late, that the image of another man's name across my wrist had completely shattered his resolve.