1

Her very first day on the job. She had had the calendar marked for months now. It was the beginning of her new life. A war-free life. A life she could finally call her own.

A fresh start.

Merlin knew she needed one.

The war had dragged on for so long. The Golden Trio only having been caught in the worst of it. Others had been fighting for far longer. Being children, they hadn't been made aware. Only taking their part in Dumbledore's last demand of Harry.

She had to help Harry. He wouldn't have made it out alive on his own. He needed support. Help.

Though Merlin forbid he ever ask for it. He was so stubborn. So afraid of what would become of his allies... His friends.

The boys were off now, Harry beginning his Auror training, and Ron... Well, it appeared Ron had a knack for business and took on part of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

And Hermione, well, she prided herself on quick-thinking at the end of her 6th year. She had sat all the N.E.W.Ts beforehand. With the Deputy Headmistress' approval, of course.

She had confided in her Head of House, explaining that despite what would happen in their travels, she wanted to at least die a graduate.

Maybe Ron was right. Maybe she ought to sort her priorities.

Those last few days of school had been devastating. Exhausting. Terrifying.

Seeing the Headmaster laying on the ground, his body broken and mangled. The funeral...

She took a deep breath, calming herself. It had all been necessary. She had to remind herself of that. They had only learnt of that much, much later. She spent a year hating him for what happened. Only to save him after all that had come to pass.

Trying to clear her thoughts, she eyed the parchment clutched tightly in her hands. Armed with little more than her beaded bag and her travelling cloak, she was prepared to set off for the address listed in the letter.

Norfolk.

My, that was awfully far from home, wasn't it?

She supposed it wasn't really her home anymore. The Burrow.

She was leaving it and the Weasleys and one lousy kiss between her and Ronald behind her.

Norfolk.

That was to be her new place of residence for the next few years.

And with a spin and the loud crack! of disapparition, she was gone.