Chapter 13: Surveillance

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

It was yesterday when Matt, Mello and I had arrived in Los Angeles and now Matt's been keeping the building we've concluded to be the task force's base-of-operations under surveillance for the time being. The high-tech equipment he brought over with him from the UK was set up and rolling in the apartment across from the 'headquarters' to see who enters and leaves, how often deliveries are made, things like that.

While Mello and I however, were given a not-so-boring assignment but definitely more annoying task, with Matt's help we were able to attach a bug onto the underside of a service cart in the hotel when we had learned a woman who believed to be affiliated with one of the task force's members ordered room service.

We thought we would get some valuable information, some eye-opening stuff, things that would crack this case wide open. Well, maybe not so much Mello.

But...

"This is supposed to be a secret from Light, right? I'm beginning to feel bad that we're together all hours of the day and not telling him." I heard a muffled feminine voice whine to the task force member who is with her currently.

"Even though Light loves me and trusts me, he might begin to think I'm having an affair because I've been with you for five whole days under the same roof, he would be so jealous!" She added in.

Mello had given me the task of learning more about this girl, Misa Amane. Usually learning about the private details and schedules of people is a tedious and lengthy task, however I had landed on a jackpot. Amane is a famous Japanese pop-star, TV personality, model, actress... She has several social media accounts and a website that keeps her fans 'up-to-date' on things like her upcoming film roles, music releases etc.

While I was doing all of this, Mello had headphones on his head, fiddling with the red and black rosary he's wearing around his neck as he ate his chocolate bar, the blank expression rests on his face as he listens to the girl run her mouth about this 'Light' and other unimportant things.

Since I've started looking into Amane's life I had leaned a lot about her. She was born on the 25th of December 1984 which would make her 24, I recall what Matt said the other day when he told Mello and I that she looked to be anywhere between 14 and 20 so she must look very young for her age. Looking through her photos he isn't wrong, Misa looks like a teenager despite being in her mid 20s, she must have a really good skincare routine. Well, either that or she was just born with almost perfect genetics.

As I kept digging through the more 'personal' side of her life, I discovered that back in 2002 she witnessed the murder of her parents in an attempted robbery gone wrong in their own house, the court proceedings took some time and the man was looking to be released on a lack of evidence, until he died from a mysterious heart attack.

My heart feels heavy for the poor girl and the trauma she must have experienced that day, to see the people who she looked up to, the people who were supposed to love and protect her, to be taken away from her so horribly. However her bright and happy energy really surprised me when Mello and I first started listening in to her conversations with this 'Motchi'.

Is she really that emotionally strong? Or is it all just a face she puts on to appear strong?

As I scrolled through Amane's modelling page there were a few photoshoots of her on the website and I can't help but notice something that brought a smile to my face. "Y'know Mello..." I trailed off. His eyes turn to me as he pulls the headphones down to rest around his neck.

"If you were a cute girl, I would mistake Misa as your twin or something" I tell him in an attempt to lighten the mood, but I wasn't met with a look of amusement. "Seriously..?" He sighed before relaxing back into the loveseat more but does not put his headphones back on. "I'm just joking around with you" I chuckled before turning my attention back to the computer screen.