11 | Alexander

Alex's POV

1680 words

I'm walking by the beach, minding my own business when I get attacked! A blur of yellow jumps me from behind. As I drop to the sand, taking the blur of yellow down with me, we both fall into laughter.

"Cleo!" I say with fake indignation.

"Alex!" she says mockingly.

"What's going on?" I ask casually.

"Nothing. Just wanted to brag about how Hygea's cabin beat Apollo's cabin in the best teeth hygiene contest!"

I laugh at her antics. She isn't competitive or prideful or arrogant except when it comes to hygiene. Then she's really competitive, prideful, and arrogant. It's definitely because her mother, Hygea, is the goddess of good health, cleanliness, and sanitation.

"Nice job. I'm sure Darax was happy his '15 step plan to brushing your teeth' helped."

"Guess so, but he was sooo annoying about it. He put up flyers all over our cabin."

"Oh! Don't forget, we need to wish Sage happy birthday! They're turning 17 so they'll be the same age as us now."

"You're telling me to remember? Last time I checked you were the one with the attention span of a goldfish."

I roll my eyes playfully, "Whatever, Sparkle." Don't ask about the nickname. "Let's just make sure we wrap the gift before dinner. Pollux is coming from college to see them tonight, so let's give it to them before the campfire. I'm sure Sage wants to be with their brother. They don't see each other often enough. They hardly see each other at all."

"Are we talking about Sage and Pollux or you and Percy?" For a daughter of Hygea, she sure knows how to read people.

I sigh, "I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks. I know that's not that long and he's a god and he's got a kingdom to run and he's even made this mortal company and I just... I just miss him."

Cleo squeezes my shoulder, but it isn't out of pity. She understands what's it's like to be away from family. Her dad is an inspector for the army, so he travels a lot. They both figured it would be easier for her to stay at camp year-round. I know she loves it here, but she also misses her dad.

"I get it," she says, "and just because he's busy doesn't mean you can't miss him. He's your brother. You don't get to hang out often. Or for long. I get it."

I feel guilty for complaining so much when she's in a worse position. But she doesn't seem to mind. She's always been understanding like that. Or she'll kick my ass in the arena for being dumb. No in between.

"Yeah, the last time I saw him he came for dinner, but he left before dessert. And the time before that was less than an hour! I know I should be grateful and I love Sally and Paul and Estelle, but-"

"He's blood. Blood isn't everything—sometimes it means nothing—but it's an undeniable connection to another person."

I nod in agreement. Once again, she was right on the money. I read these books about him and I hear these stories and I talk to his friends and I see him once in a blue moon. But I don't know him. We started getting closer after the invasion, but he also started getting more responsibilities. As the work piled on, his visiting hours were cut short.

I guess what really bothers me is that he chooses those responsibilities over me. And while I can understand Percy's reasons all day long, it doesn't change the fact that his choice hurts a little. That he rather be with other mortals and immortals than with me.