seven

fun » noun enjoyment, amusement, or lighthearted pleasure.

George and Lane were sat at a table with Fred, Angelina, Ginny, Neville, Lee, and his date, a random Hufflepuff girl who seemed nice enough. They laughed happily and everything seemed to be perfect as they enjoyed the grand Christmas feast before them. Soon enough Ginny and Neville were back on the dance floor and George turned to Lane with an expectant smile to which she shyly got up and followed him. It was just like they'd practiced, his hand in hers and her free hand on his shoulder. It felt natural yet unnatural at the same time with everyone around them. A few people whispered seeing them together, but Lane assumed it was because of someone as popular as George was expected to bring someone more important than a no-name third year. George didn't seem to mind however and lit up when a more upbeat song came on.

"Stay here, I've gotta get Freddie!" He quickly ran back to the table and came back pulling Fred who had dragged Angelina with him.

The Weird Sisters were playing one of the twins' favorite songs and there was a fleury of ginger hair flying around as they swung their heads back and forth to the tune. Angelina giggled as she and Lane ended up dancing together more calmly than the boys but still had a great time. Fred took both girl's hands and spun them around as George went to get them all drinks. Lane's cheeks began to hurt from smiling so much-- this was one of those moments that you remember forever. Years later when you're staring at the fireplace and a song comes on reminding you of your youth. Lane was so grateful to Ginny for convincing George to take her that she went over and gave her a hug.

"What was that for?" Ginny laughed and shouted over the music.

Lane chuckled and feigned being hurt. "I need an excuse to hug my best friend?"

Ginny rolled her eyes and smiled as Neville came back to her with their own drinks. He spilled one slightly but merely smiled it off and handed it to Ginny. "Oh hello, Lane!" He said sweetly and Lane smiled.

"Hello, Neville! You look handsome as ever." She complimented making him turn as red as the punch he was drinking.

"Thank you very much, Lane..." He said softly. "You look beautiful tonight. Not that you don't always but the dress is really pretty... Of course, your normal robes are pretty too but-"

Before he could ramble, more Ginny took his hand and led him back to the dancefloor which he was quite grateful for since he couldn't make any more of a fool of himself to Lane. She chuckled softly and went back to the table where Fred and Angelina were now sitting, still no sign of George with their drinks.

"Is he stomping the grapes himself?" Fred said exasperatedly as he loosened his tie and ran a hand through his hair. Angelina chuckled and fiddled with her beautiful silver bracelets as she rolled her eyes.

"You're so impatient Freddie. He's probably distracted by some floating cake or something."

As if on cue, George walked into the hall laughing happily while chatting with Orpha Buckthorn, the 6th year Ravenclaw who he was originally going to take to the ball. Lane frowned slightly as they walked over chatting happily and watched him hand Angelina and Fred their drinks -- hers was seemingly forgotten.

"I promised Orpha a quick dance." He said to them and then looked at Lane as if asking if it was okay. The older girl didn't even bother acknowledging Lane from her place next to George.

Not wanting to take away his fun, Lane nodded, and he smiled wide before walking to the dancefloor with Orpha--arm in arm. It was a slow song and she watched them as she wrapped her arms around his neck, and he held her waist. She felt a bit foolish to think George saw her as anything but a plus one for his sister's sake. He'd wanted to go with Orpha originally so realistically it should have been a win-win situation: he gets the girl and Lane gets to enjoy the ball. But the way Lane's stomach dropped, and her voice was caught in her throat didn't make it seem that way.

One dance turned into two and two into three as Lane sat at the table thankful that Angelina and Fred were still with her. Angelina, always observant, saw Lane watching George and Orpha and nudged Fred on the arm rather roughly. He pouted and rubbed his tricep as he looked at her in confusion.

"Ow-" he began before she cut off his complaints with a nod to Lane.

He looked over and frowned. He felt bad really, Lane was a sweet girl and even though Fred didn't know her well he knew she didn't deserve to have her night ruined by Orpha. Taking the hint from Angelina he nodded and stood up with a stretch before walking over to Lane.

"Care to dance?" He said bowing dramatically making her chuckle slightly, but he could tell it was an empty laugh since he wasn't the one, she wanted to be dancing with tonight.

"Oh, it's okay..." she said looking at Angelina.

Lane knew what it was like to have her date dancing with someone else and didn't want to do the same thing to Angelina. That, and she wasn't exactly in a very dancey mood anymore. However, Angelina shook her head.

"No take him away. My feet hurt and he won't sit still, you'd be doing me a favor." She joked making Fred scowl at her lightly before turning back to Lane.

"It'd be a shame to let a pretty dress like that not get shown off." He said with a charming grin which Lane rolled her eyes in order to hide her blush.

Fred was definitely the more charming twin and Lane couldn't help but stand and take his hand as he beamed with pride and walked her to the dancefloor. He spun her around making her laugh and drew her close as the song turned slow once again. Though the twins were identical, dancing with them could not feel more different. With George, it was like she was a snowflake. He was so gentle, and his hands never wandered anywhere besides the set places they were meant to be. It was like he was scared she'd float away and not come back. But with Fred, he was a flirt so when she felt his hands on her lower back rather than her hips and he leaned down to whisper in her ear as they swayed, it felt normal.

"I reckon I'm a better dancer than George anyway." He said to her in a low voice making her smile softly. She didn't know how, but Fred had managed to read her like a book and notice she was upset about the whole Orpha situation.

"Not necessarily better, you both dance quite different if I'm being honest." She shrugged.

They swayed for a while before he made eye contact with George across the dancefloor and shot daggers at him through just one look. Fred was a lot of things but subtle was not one, and at the moment he was disappointed in George and he wanted his younger twin to know. George on the other hand sent him a questioning look before excusing himself from Orpha and walking over.

"Fred... Lane..." He nodded to them both awkwardly. "Can I cut in?"

"No," Fred said with a smug face as he pulled Lane closer. "Next dance maybe. Or maybe the one after that?"

George clenched his jaw but instead of saying anything he merely walked back to the table where Angelina sat and let out an annoyed huff.

"You didn't have to do that." Lane said to Fred as he looked down at her.

"But I did. Mum would have his head if she knew he brought you to the ball and then ditched you for some 6th year metamorphmagus with half the school already up her arse."

Lane laughed at that and leaned her head on his shoulder as she kept giggling, unable to hold it in. At first, Fred was confused but he began laughing too. It was contagious and soon enough a fast song came on and they danced more upbeat, chuckles still being shared between them. As Lane's mood began to brighten, Georges on the other hand had dampened as Angelina got a hold of him. The fiery girl was not shy to tell someone what she was thinking, it was a big reason why Fred liked her. So, when George sat down, she immediately began chewing into him about how rude he had been.