38. Letters of love

~ Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and think of what would go right.

Amyrah

As I remembered to read the letters which Azreena aunty had given, I ran to my room whilst  opening it.

A messy handwriting covered the paper. Even before I started reading it, my eyes watered. Papa. My papa. Carefully holding them in my hand, I began reading. The first paper was addressed to Azreena aunty. I wonder why she gave it to me.

Azreena,

This is Rasheed Arshad. Your brother. Hopefully you haven't forgotten him.

I have no money with me now. It's been five years since my wife passed away. I used to live here and there with my daughter, but now I can't do it anymore. I am leaving. For the sake of my daughter.

I am going to work as a janitor in U.A.E. I will earn a little every day, but it is much better than working here. People look at me as a servant. I don't want my daughter to think her father is so low. After earning enough I will come back.

I don't know when and how, but somehow, someday, oneday I promise to come back. For my daughter.

I am leaving my daughter with Shabnam, her mother's sister. They are good people, but they will not treat my daughter like their own. I don't know your new home address, so I am sending this letter to our parent's home. I hope you will see this letter before it's too late.

Please take care of my Amyrah. I beg of you. Please. I hope you don't tell her that I work as a janitor. My daughter will be so ashamed of me. I am a hero, the best man in her eyes, what would she think of her father? She's young, she'd never understand.

I don't know why my heart is not satisfied. Something is wrong. I am going to leave tomorrow. I have booked the plane. I am so low in life now that I had to beg my wife's sister to give me some money and to take care of my daughter. I am so embarassed and ashamed.

I am only twenty nine. Do I deserve all these?

I don't regret marrying Ishara. But why did she leave me so soon? Now I can't even take care of my daughter.

I feel so pathetic. So low of myself. I have nothing with me, not even my dignity, only my daughter. Writing all these gives me a solace, I have no one to talk to. No one. Atleast I have you who will read this.

Azreena, please ask mom and dad to forgive me okay? And you too. Live happily with your husband and children. I heard you lost one of the twins. I am so sorry. I am such a worse person to not be there for you, but I am sure you are much more lucky than me. I am just a no one.

I ask and beg to Allah, but seems like He doesn't love me. Still I will try to not lose hope.

Please take care of my daughter.

I have attached another paper too. Incase I don't come back in another few years, please give it to my Amyrah. Give it to her the day she is mature enough to understand that I really do love her.

If you don't mind, please buy her a diary on her next birthday too, because she loves them so much. Last month, on her fifth birthday I sold my watch and bought her one expensive Snow White diary. She was so happy that day. She hugged me atleast 100 times. She had even told her whole school about it. Isn't she just adorable?