Chapter 19

ASHLEY'S POV

I’m sitting on the couch in the Salvatore’s living room while Stefan and Damon toss a football back and forth across the room, above my head.

“So how long has it been? Eight, nine days?” I ask, playing with a piece of string on the hem of my sweater.

“Yeah, eight or nine days. I don’t know, I lost count.” Stefan says, catching the ball and throwing it back to Damon.

“If we lost count of the consecutive days in which Elena Gilbert has not killed anyone, I’d say that’s progress.” Damon says with a small smile and I nod.

“So what are we gonna do, just throw the football around for another 150 years until Elena gets her humanity back? Because I’m cool with that.” Stefan suggests and I laugh a little bit.

“She doesn’t want the cure.” I remind them. “She’s gonna start killing people if she knows we’re still trying to get it for her.”

“Alright. We could always make her want it.” Stefan says with a shrug.

“Yeah, how are we gonna make an emotionless vampire want anything?” Damon asks.

“Get her to flip her humanity switch.” I say, standing up and walking over to stand next to Damon as he catches the ball again.

“So what do we do? Pull a Lexi and bombard her with emotions until one of them sticks?” He asks.

“Yeah, and if that doesn’t work, then we go to Plan B. Lock her up, keep her sidelined until we figure out Plan C.” Stefan says.

“And what happens when she gets slammed with every emotion she’s repressed since Jeremy died?” Damon asks, bringing up a good point.

“Well, then we’ll be right by her side, ready to help her through it.” I say confidently.

“Alright. How do we wanna do this?” Damon asks, catching the ball one last time and tossing it onto the couch.

ELENA’S POV

I’m walking down the street with Rebekah and she has just told me that Elijah has the cure. Katherine gave it to him to prove that her feelings for him are real. Elijah refuses to give Rebekah the cure until she shows him that she really wants to be human.

He wants her to go through one full day as a human. No vampire privileges. No strength, no compulsion, no nothing.

“You’re gonna fail. You should be locking yourself inside all day, not shopping for prom.” I point out bitterly.

“Name me a more human experience than the prom.” She shoots back.

“Death.”

“Why should I listen to you?” She scoffs at my answer. “You don’t even have your humanity.”

“You realize you won’t even be able to compel yourself a date, right?” I remind her.

“Yes, and last time I checked you’re living in my house because I’m the only that can tolerate you, so you don’t have to be so rude.” She points out.

“Then I want to come with you.” I say with a forced smile. “Yeah, I’ll keep an eye on you to make sure that you pass Elijah’s test. As soon as you’ve gotten the cure, it’ll be gone for good and no one will be able to use it on me.”

ASHLEY’S POV

I’m in a dress shop with Bonnie trying on prom dresses. Damon and Stefan are formulating a plan to get Elena’s humanity back, but I thought I would focus more on my own life.