Silent Symmetry - Chapter 4

Dream #23: I’m in a crowd of people, trying to push past them, but I don’t even know which way I’m supposed to be going. The more I push, the tighter the crowd gets. Then I realize that everyone is looking at me and closing in on me. I’m suffocating as they press against me and no amount of struggling can help me escape. I feel hotter and hotter and I’m losing control of my body and mind. I wake up in a sweat.

That Saturday with Mom was so amazing. We did a whole bunch of touristy stuff, but all the while I was thinking, This is my city – I actually live here! Mom had booked a twenty-minute helicopter ride that was taking off from the Wall Street heliport at 4 p m., so we had time to catch the ferry out to Liberty Island and visit the statue before that.

It was a beautiful fall morning and the passengers packed the deck to look back at the receding skyscrapers glinting in the sun. Mom and I were pressed against the railing, hair blowing in the breeze. A tall, sandy-blond-haired man wearing a brown suede jacket was standing to the other side of Mom. He turned to her, raising his voice to be heard above the wind and the noise of the engines.

“I still find it incredible.”

Mom took a couple of seconds to realize that he was talking to her.

“Oh, I know – what a city!”

“No, I mean, I still find it incredible that the twin towers aren’t there anymore,” he explained.

“Oh...” was all Mom could say, clearly feeling uneasy to be discussing the tragic events of 9/11 with a genuine New Yorker.

“They weren’t the most beautiful buildings in Manhattan, but they were so beautifully symmetrical.”

She nodded, seeming unsure about where the conversation with this good-looking stranger was heading. I decided to take matters into my own hands. Because he was about Mom’s age, was very friendly, and... okay, fine – he was a total hottie.

“We just went to check out the Ground Zero memorial,” I chimed in.

Mom turned to me. “Kari, you make it sound like we dropped in at a new store in the mall!”

The man laughed. “I’m Bob. Is it your first time in New York?”

“No, no,’ answered Mom.

Bob tilted his head, confused.

“I mean, yes,” she went on, flustered. “It’s our first time, but we’re not tourists – we just moved here.”

“She’s Emily,” I said, giving Mom a little kick on her boot heel. WTF, do I have to do everything?

Mom gave me a fake-stern look, then held out her hand to the attractive stranger.

“Bob – I’m Emily.”

“Pleased to meet you.”

He took her hand and instead of shaking it, held onto it for a few seconds. I couldn’t see Mom’s expression because she was facing away from me, but I think even I was blushing, so she must have been too. Bob broke off the handshake and turned back to look at the city.

“Welcome to the greatest city in the world, ladies.”

This guy was perfect for Mom! I was praying that they’d chat some more and exchange phone numbers, but the ferry docked and we got separated from him as we joined the river of tourists filing onto Liberty Island.

I elbowed her in the ribs. “Mom – that guy!”

“What?” she feigned ignorance.

“He’s smoking hot! Ask him out.”