186 mutual friends

The overdue homework lay in piles on Sam's desk. A whole week of procrastination had led to three detentions and two arguments; but she still lay in bed watching another episode of American horror story. It didn't matter to her. Clearly. All school was to Sam was simply a way to pass time before her inevitable death, and there are much better ways to spend that time. Like sleep and the Internet.

She looked up at the clock and then back down to her laptop. 11:22 am. It was a Saturday which meant her mom and brothers were visiting her grandma all day and her dad was at work. So she got out of bed and turned on her stereo, shaking the house with the perfect sound of Matt Healy's voice. This is how life was supposed to be. Relaxed. The stress of school drifted away as the 1975 took over, causing anything else to lose any sense of purpose.

Her phone buzzed. She got off her bed and sauntered over the room to her desk and unplugged her phone from charge. A friend request. She logged into her Facebook and sat back on the bed (practically a mound of pillows and blankets) and read who it was. Ashton Irwin. The name rang a bell. He was in her product design class but she had never talked to the boy. Ever. He wasn't really the type of person that would talk to someone like Sam. He was popular for a start. She looked at his profile to see that he had 186 mutual friends. She accepted the request and looked at some of his photos. He had a very nice face she wasn't going to kid herself. He was a bit of a player according to the people at school. All of the girls had a small crush but he'd never really crossed Sam's mind. Until now.