Escape

|4|

Ivy did show me around yesterday and it's going to be harder than I thought. None of the windows can be opened, there is no emergency exit of some sort and there is no way that can lead me to the roof. My plans were shattered and even though a part of me knew Ivy wouldn't be that foolish to let me see the house when there is a way out.

I have been here for two days and I haven't figured something out yet. It was idiotic of me for thinking it would be easy, but I couldn't give up. Not yet.

Don't worry mother, I will be beside you soon.

I'm sitting on my bed and the image in the mirror is distracting me. I have all my hair down today and wearing another long dress. Seems like Ivy enjoys dressing me in elegant outfits. I would be lying if I said I don't enjoy it a bit. I've never lived in such luxury before.

Focus Eva! Don't allow yourself to get too comfortable. Don't forget that despite the fancy dresses, you're just a prisoner!

I've been starting to feel something inside me. It's foreign and nothing like I've ever felt before. My chest fills up with it but still allows me to breathe.

In my head I recall every part of the house. Maybe there is something I have missed.

On the first floor there is the kitchen; a lounge area and apart from the front, main door there is also a small door that leads to the back garden. I can't go through that since it's sealed shut.

On the second floor, there are four bedrooms and the library. The library has tall windows made with thick glass. The other rooms beside ours stay locked at all times, so the trouble of unlocking them would slow me down and most probably have her catch me trying.

I lay my forehead on the glass of the window. My good hand is massaging my wrist to ease the pain. My body is so heavy, I don't want to move. The lack of food is starting to have its effect on me. Something is moving across the grey sky. I stare at it carefully. I haven't seen anything move outside since I came. It looks like some kind of bird. It flies past the window and starts to get smaller and smaller.

"Please come here." I motion with my hand desperately.

The bird changes its direction and flies towards the house again. I step back as the bird lands on the other side of the glass and taps on it with its beak. It has deep brown feathers with some spots of grey. It's a little bigger than my fist. It must only be a coincidence. I tell myself. The small bird stays put for a few more moments and then flies away.

"How lucky," I whisper. "You can leave and be free, but I will be like you too soon"

***

"Don't bother to make something for me," I tell Ivy as she's preparing dinner.

"You can't continue like this, you need to eat. I still don't understand why you would still think I'm poisoning you." She shakes her head in disappointment. Trusting her would be the last thing I would do. I keep quiet and go back upstairs.

I enter our room and slowly close the door. I take out a knife I managed to hide underneath the belt of my dress. Ivy shouldn't have these lying around. I grab my old clothes from the bottom of the wardrobe to change.

Once I'm dressed, I start taking out the frame of the window, so taking out the glass would be easier. I'm cautious with every move. If I break the glass, it's over. I put just enough pressure so the frames start to creak. When the gap is big enough I use my good hand.

After the protective frame is gone, I put the tip of the thin knife in between the glass and the rest of the frame. The glass starts to detach. It's heavy and reminds me of my wrist injury. I put it on the floor and look out. My throat is dry.

If I slip, I'm dead. I get out and begin my crawling. I hold on to the frame as my body is shaking. A little further from my foot there is a gargoyle statue. I sway a little back and forth until my legs reach it. I mentally count to three and then I let go of the frame and hold onto the statue's head. I take another look down, still too high to jump.

Underneath, there is another window that is not far from the ground. I jump and reach it, but slip in the last moment. My body falls on the ground and I almost let out a scream. I bite my hand, so I won't make any sound. I come back on my feet, my body feels sore and my head is dizzy.

You have wasted enough time Eva. Run!

I pass through the edges of the front garden, so Ivy won't notice me from the house. I enter the woods as hastily as I can. The more distance I have from the house, the safer I will be.

I look back, but the house isn't in sight anymore. Now everything looks the same around me.

Did I make it? No, don't celebrate too soon. Just keep running.

I have been running straight ahead for a while now, and my legs are killing me. I also need to figure out how to get out of this forest. It looks like it goes on forever.

Trees, trees and only trees. And bushes and...

"The bushes!" I search around me.

In this place full of black and silver, a small cloth of dirty brown isn't hard to notice. I crouch down and drab the cloth to examine it. It's definitely from my dress. If I follow the path they lead me to, I'll be closer to home.

My eyes are getting tired. With such limited light, I'm straining my eyes to find the small pieces. I blink repeatedly, it's just an inconvenience I need to push through. Unfortunately, I reach the point where the cloth path ends.

Do I just walk ahead? The forest has to end at some point.

A shadow appears a few meters ahead of me. It gets closer and closer until it's not a shadow anymore. What is in front of me is far from what I expected.

The creature in front of me is much taller than me. Two horns coming out of its head, its skin a shade of pale blue and blood-red eyes. Long, straight black hair coming from its scalp. The creature raises one of its claws and points it to me. I whimper at the sight.

"I'm telling you for the last time! You can NEVER escape!"