Chaos - By Hannan Ahmed

Lyra stared at the ceiling in the darkness with fear in her eyes. She felt numb and could not move her body to the point she felt the blood pump from her veins. She tried to scream but felt paralyzed. It felt like hours, but it only lasted two minutes until she slowly moved her body and saw a person standing in front of her. It was bright, but the light was limited, only reaching one direction. Like it was surrounding the person standing in front of her. When her eyes adjusted to the light, she was able to see him. He had one hazel eye and one purple that sparkled even from a distance. His hair was brown and wavy, some of it partly covering his eye. However, it did not seem to bother him as he slowly observed Lyra. She noticed he was holding something. She tried to walk towards him but felt a strong wind holding her back. With all her strength, she pushed herself into the light and fell into his arms. She asked him what he was holding, and he mumbled something, but she couldn't hear him.

Lyra woke up in panic, longing for air. Before waking up, she had seen a vision of the mystery guy holding a key. She was sweaty and cold, and yearned for hugging Pan. As she turned around to hold him tightly, she noticed he was gone. She whispered quietly after her daemon, with pain in her voice.

"Pan, where are you!?" Lyra shouted as she panicked and started to search for him. She heard sniffing and cries from across the room. Pan was hiding in the corner of the room, scared and shaking out of fear. Lyra started crying as well as she hugged him.

"What happened?" she asked as she gently stroked his head. "I dunno," said Pan with a quavering voice.

"This is all so weird. I don't understand what's happening," Lyra said, as she suddenly heard screams and noises from outside her window. She looked at Pan with fear in her eyes before running to the window. She saw people crying and screaming in pain for their daemons while they went berserk in town. Meanwhile, Lyra's own daemon was now sitting peacefully on her shoulder.

"How come my daemon is calm?" Lyra asked herself while stroking Pan gently. She was afraid, and confused. For the first time, she felt numb and lost. She had no idea what was

happening or if this was all another dream. She tried to pinch herself but realized she was awake. This was real.

"Ouch! Why did you hurt us!" shouted Pan as Lyra pinched herself.

"Sorry, I was trying to see if we were dreaming,"
Pan rolled his eyes before he suddenly glitched and fell down from Lyra's shoulder. She got a headache and closed her eyes for a minute.

"Well, I guess we aren't safe either" said Lyra as she scratched her head. Through her window, she spotted Ma Costa with other gyptian families. Lyra hurried as fast as she could down to the town. It was chaos, everyone was running around screaming and crying, longing for their daemons, and some were lying on the ground unconscious. Lyra ran towards Ma Costa and hugged her tightly.

"What happened Ma Costa. Why are the daemons freaking out?" asked Lyra.

"I en't know child, I have never seen such things in my life!" said Ma Costa with a worried voice. "I woke up and Jal was flying 'round the boat, biting and screaming at Billy and Tony!" she continued.