Chapter 4 Pods

Chapter 4

There was a beep as the door opened. I blinked as I tried to focus on the scenery in front of me. It was like we were in a water park. There was a pathway in front of us and the curved walls were made out of glass with steel reinforcements. Dotted lights ran along the frame of the steel and also the ground - giving us enough luminance to see.

We followed Jessica along the metal like floor. Our footsteps echoing in the vast and endless space around us. Nervous glances showed on each and every one of my companions whenever a sea creature drove past us. Jessica must have seen our curious looks because she looked back at us and smirked.

"These creatures are not known to Earth dwellers. For they have not invented a machine that could withstand the massive amount of pressure here. Consider yourselves lucky to be here."

If being lucky meant that we have to see how they murdered people back in the plane then they have a weird logic.

I suddenly felt a strange presence drawing close. I stopped and turned my head upward to the glass ceiling just as we were enshrouded in a temporary darkness. A massive reptilian like creature with octopus arms swam past us making everyone stop. I heard screams and shuffling of feet the whole time before it was gone.

The man with the yellow cat eyes appeared beside me. "Why are you all surprised about that one?" He asked in a serious tone. "Earth dwellers have written stories about it. The Kraken. It used to swim on the ocean surface before they hunted it down and forced it to live here. Just like us."

"I thought the Kraken was a giant octopus?" I said.

"No one lived to tell the tale from the ones who saw the actual body. I guess they just assumed that it is a giant octopus."

I turned my gaze away from him as I looked at the retreating figure of the Kraken getting smaller and smaller.

"Let's keep moving." Jessica ordered.

We followed her towards the end of the hallway. A steel door awaited us at the end. As soon as Jessica scanned her hand, it opened. We followed her inside and found ourselves in a metallic room that was barely lit by two wall lamps. Another metallic door was in front of us with two people guarding it. Their gray jumpsuit was making them blend in with the darkness.

"New recruits?" One of the guards spoke when Jessica approached them.

"More of them this time. One of them has a strong ounce of Atlantean blood." Jessica said proudly.

"Will they assist?"

"Hopefully." Jessica said and stepped forward as she entered a code on the keypad beside the steel doors. There was a beep and a clang.

Once it opened, Jessica motioned for us to come inside. We followed and soon found ourselves in a science fiction like setting. We were in a huge dome like city. The upper half of the dome was made of glass and reinforce with steels - just like the ones we saw before arriving here. The lower half was made of white material that I do not know of.

All around us, tons of circular pods emerged from the ground held by white-like stems of a flower. Each of them were of different heights from the ground. Some were two meters above ground and the tallest I saw was around ten meters. I saw a few people coming in an out of them. They were dressed in white body fitting jumpsuits with blue lineare patterns. They don't use any ladder or equipment, they simply jump down and land on their feet like it was nothing. I saw a man doing the same from the tallest pod. My heart lurched as I saw him jump and landed on the ground safely. The man just grinned and started running towards his friends.